Will bonsai scape take the place of live rock?

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a new large bonsai scape from west mariculture which will take up half of my tank. The other half will remain LR. Will this take the place of the LR I have I have on that side of the tank for biofiltration or will I need to keep the LR in the sump? I'm trying to free up some space. Here's a pic of the bonsai:

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 12.08.46 PM.png

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a fan of lots of LR for filtration this has been my first tank with tons and now I have a problem of zero nitrates and low to zero phosphate I have the drain chamber completely full of LR and the return chamber behind the return pump is also full of LR the LR in this area is actually full of sponges now, I would say if you have the space in the sump toss a few extra pounds it won’t hurt

VoZe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a new large bonsai scape from west mariculture which will take up half of my tank. The other half will remain LR. Will this take the place of the LR I have I have on that side of the tank for biofiltration or will I need to keep the LR in the sump? I'm trying to free up some space. Here's a pic of the bonsai:

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 12.08.46 PM.png
I would probably add a bit more live rocks in the sump just to be safe or Marinepure blocks because they have more surface area for the the bacteria to live on so you wouldn’t need to add as much in as you would with rocks

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have mentioned - this is not a new tank. It’s a 120g about 3 years old with no problems. Half of it will still have LR - about 50 pounds. I’m hoping to remove about 40 pounds. Adding marinpure is a good idea. It’s just so much $$$.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have one of those West Mariculture structures and I can't see it providing much biofiltration so I'm putting extra rock and biomedia in my sump. Depending on your bioload you might be okay with less rock but if you want a lot of fish you need a lot of biofiltration.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering how happy you are with the quality of the Bonsi Structure you got from West Mariculture ? I am thinking of redoing my display tank and using something like this ,, maybe a bit less holes ,, kinda looks like a frag holder with that many holes ,, instead of one or two holes per shelf ,, for colony growth ,,,

gary504504

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think ceramics will get better and eventually take over,ceramico makes good looking pieces

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ceramico has had recent customer service issues. West Mariculture was GREAT to deal with. Each "leaf" (piece at the end of the branch) is removable and you can choose how many holes you want on each as well as colors of the structure and the leaf. The holes when removed are the size of frag plugs, so you can just put a plug in it if you like. I am a research nut and looked at many brands before going with this one. He will even make you one if you tell him you like one of his, but want to tweak a few things. When it ships, I'll post a pic.

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am even thinking of using one branch for zoas and sticking frag plugs in the other holes. When they grow over a plug = instant frag!

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered both at different times. Ceramico, Vida Rock in my opinion is better looking and has a better feel to it. The WM bonsai tree I've sold. I ordered a Vida rock branch and grotto but it was too large for my 34 g. They're on E if you want to take a look.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back