Will BRS Now Charge Subscription for Neptune Apex Fusion?

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit. Sorry. Confused threads

Last edited:

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be fun to watch when all you gadget heads forget to renew your Apex subscription. I can see it now Randy/Ryan sitting behind their keyboard and with one click locking up all your tanks.

For the life of me I can not figure out why anyone would have their return pump rely on some silly little computer box, (made in China) with a million different failure points. You gadget boys might want to consider having a tried and trusted Iwaki hiding in the closet.
case in point... this guy.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be fun to watch when all you gadget heads forget to renew your Apex subscription. I can see it now Randy/Ryan sitting behind their keyboard and with one click locking up all your tanks.

For the life of me I can not figure out why anyone would have their return pump rely on some silly little computer box, (made in China) with a million different failure points. You gadget boys might want to consider having a tried and trusted Iwaki hiding in the closet.

Tell me you don't know what a browser is without telling me you don't know what a browser is. Get with the times, not everyone can stay home in retirement with their tanks. We actually have to work.

Anyway, as a "Gadget Head", BRS wouldn't get money out of me just for fusion. I would just remote into my laptop at home, and access the apex from there.

The age old bs about something being more technologically advanced and having failure points....

Tell me, what exactly are those failure points?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you are not home, how do you know that the Iwaki has power? That your home A/C hasn't quit on you? That your ATO or skimmer hasn't gone bonkers? Or a hose clamp wiggled loose? Or a dozen other real life things that Murphy says will happen given the time.

Our systems DO HAVE a million points of potential failure. Totally agree with you there. And I won't defend Neptune hardware quality either. But I definitely prefer to be notified immediately upon failure versus come home to a dead tank and/or wet floor.

Over the last near decade, this thing (well, three of them that I monitor) has paid for itself 10X in livestock.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you are not home, how do you know that the Iwaki has power? That your home A/C hasn't quit on you? That your ATO or skimmer hasn't gone bonkers? Or a hose clamp wiggled loose? Or a dozen other real life things that Murphy says will happen given the time.

Our systems DO HAVE a million points of potential failure. Totally agree with you there. And I won't defend Neptune hardware quality either. But I definitely prefer to be notified immediately upon failure versus come home to a dead tank and/or wet floor.

Over the last near decade, this thing (well, three of them that I monitor) has paid for itself 10X in livestock.
Scott, you make a great point - the value of an item and what someone is willing to pay for it varies greatly by their own user experience.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shut the front door
get away shove GIF by HULU

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I can foresee the basic Apex Fusion of Tmp / pH monitoring and manual control over all outlets remaining FREE.

But some of the Advanced Equip control would be under a "Fusion Pro" version of like $4.99 per month

Neptune has no revenue stream. I bought my Apex like 8 years ago and have not sent them a penny since. How can a company survive on equipment sales alone and no revenue stream?

Last edited:

theishkid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell if some of you are legitimately doom and gloomers or if you are just trying to get people to dump their Neptune gear on the cheap.
Half the reason I started buying from BRS was because they seemed to have a different mindset than most other companies. I've never seen an owner of a store produce a video and tell you that products they sell suck and they wouldn't personally buy them. I don't have stores from my other hobbies randomly sending me $20 same as cash coupons. I don't have other companies that do crazy big giveaways multiple times a year. I've literally never seen a company do what BRS does or behave the way BRS does which is why I shop with them and applaud their success because I feel like they genuinely care about the success of their customers.
I guess we can talk about how horrible they are because they only want us to be successful so we keep shopping with them... yall take a breath and calm down.

theishkid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can a company survive on equipment sales alone and no revenue stream?
This is how most companies have worked for decades. It's only been in the last 10 years or so that subscription models have started to come online.
I don't know if it's ever been mentioned what kind of overhead or how many employees Neptune has so maybe selling a couple thousand Apex's and Tridents a year is enough for them to get by. I know they don't have a ton of new products each year or product refreshes so one could assume they have a relatively small R&D budget. Hence Ryan talking about how this will make more things be able to happen faster.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell if some of you are legitimately doom and gloomers or if you are just trying to get people to dump their Neptune gear on the cheap.
Half the reason I started buying from BRS was because they seemed to have a different mindset than most other companies. I've never seen an owner of a store produce a video and tell you that products they sell suck and they wouldn't personally buy them. I don't have stores from my other hobbies randomly sending me $20 same as cash coupons. I don't have other companies that do crazy big giveaways multiple times a year. I've literally never seen a company do what BRS does or behave the way BRS does which is why I shop with them and applaud their success because I feel like they genuinely care about the success of their customers.
I guess we can talk about how horrible they are because they only want us to be successful so we keep shopping with them... yall take a breath and calm down.

This is how most companies have worked for decades. It's only been in the last 10 years or so that subscription models have started to come online.
I don't know if it's ever been mentioned what kind of overhead or how many employees Neptune has so maybe selling a couple thousand Apex's and Tridents a year is enough for them to get by. I know they don't have a ton of new products each year or product refreshes so one could assume they have a relatively small R&D budget. Hence Ryan talking about how this will make more things be able to happen faster.
my thoughts exactly.
not sure what neptune or brs ever did to deserve anything but optimism.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. I am a self employed contractor and I am rarely at home. (not retired)
2. I have a whole house generator. I would never have a tank without one.
3. An Iwaki pump has 2-3 moving parts.
4. That little grey box has a whole bunch of little micro chips in it made by 13 year old girls in a sweat shop in South East Asia. What could possibly go wrong?
At some point in the near future all aquarium equipment will be designed to rely solely on one mother brain of some sort. You won't be able to turn something on/off with a flip of the switch. And thats when they gotcha! You will have planned/programmed failure points, and planned obsolescence

Just like our automobiles with their check engine lights. Convince me that those check engine lights are not programmed from the factory to trigger after so many key starts. This way you have to bring it in for service and get told you need a $500 sensor. The dealerships make their money on service not on selling new cars.

I am not against technology. And even if I was, I know It can't be stopped. I am just from a generation that is still capable of doing critical thinking on my own. And not buying into whatever some glitzy youtube commercial or R2R pop add tells me I need, to somewhow make my life/tank/ home better, easier, safer.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With BRS acquiring Neptune Systems, do you think they will start charging monthly/annual subscriptions to Neptune Apex Fusion for dashboard cloud access? Sure they will be looking for new revenue streams. If so, curios what the value proposition will be?

I think this is the most ridiculous concept anyone could think of to be honest.

The goal isn't to tank the user base to the point of insolvency.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the most ridiculous concept anyone could think of to be honest.

The goal isn't to tank the user base to the point of insolvency.
I’m sorry I don’t understand your point? Could you please clarify?

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like our automobiles with their check engine lights. Convince me that those check engine lights are not programmed from the factory to trigger after so many key starts. This way you have to bring it in for service and get told you need a $500 sensor. The dealerships make their money on service not on selling new cars.

I am not against technology. And even if I was, I know It can't be stopped. I am just from a generation that is still capable of doing critical thinking on my own. And not buying into whatever some glitzy youtube commercial or R2R pop add tells me I need, to somewhow make my life/tank/ home better, easier, safer.

You have a big rig as an avatar and you don't understand how a check engine light works? W O W.

You do realize there is a little COMPUTER from china called an OBDII scanner. You can scan the CEL, and verify the problem yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry I don’t understand your point? Could you please clarify?
I'd rather not waste the time to type out the literal plethora of reasons this make zero sense. But here is a very brief list you can think about, there's probably a dozen more too.

-Fusion has been around forever, and its always been free. Waking up tomorrow and trying to charge for it without adding a SIGNIFICANT amount features is going to tank the user base.

-Every single competitor to the Apex offers free access. Good luck keeping users when I can flip to GHL or Hydros and not pay a dime for access.

-Nothing BRS is doing or has done in the past 15 years would even remotely hint and the notion they are interested in extorting Neptunes user base. It's literally the antithesis of the ethos of the company.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back