Will/can fish eat house flies?

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm really good at catching house flies... :)

Is it safe to feed them to my fish? Chromis, convict tang, clownfish, etc... mixed reef.

Thanks!

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see why it would be unsafe, but I’m not sure the fish will actually eat them. Fish will taste just about anything, and I know some freshwater fish are fed crickets (and other insects) regularly, but the saltwater fish might not know what to do with them. You could try one and see if the fish show any interest - how are you catching the flies for this purpose? Just double checking there aren’t any chemicals involved that could hurt the fish. That would be my only real concern.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how recently the flies have been fed, and what they were eating. They may be full of nutrition and your fish would enjoy them.

I used to have a freshwater fish I fed grubs from the garden, but those grubs could be a natural food item for freshwater fish. I'm not certain how many reef fish would have access to freshwater flies, but I think that number would be very low. Kelp flies maybe, are you catching kelp flies?

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see why it would be unsafe, but I’m not sure the fish will actually eat them. Fish will taste just about anything, and I know some freshwater fish are fed crickets (and other insects) regularly, but the saltwater fish might not know what to do with them. You could try one and see if the fish show any interest - how are you catching the flies for this purpose? Just double checking there aren’t any chemicals involved that could hurt the fish. That would be my only real concern.

No chemicals, just regular house flies.

I'll give it a shot - see what happens!

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C593DDBE-4DEE-4F39-AADD-7ADA33081E74.gif

4n2xtacy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo...in the wild, fishes can eat anything.if a fly should land in the ocean and a fish has the opportunity to eat, it'll devour it. That's in the ocean. Flies are perpetually carriers of germs. The ocean water is big enough to carry the germs and spread the micro organisms far away from each other that they harmless. In our house tank, it's a whole different ball game. Putting a fly in your tank is giving room for pollution that cant even be tested for. Reef safe...

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only kinda on topic but a fish that only eats terrestrial arthropods.
See them occasionally on fw forums. Actually a brackish water fish.

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read an old post about this, on the other main forum site. And a lot of people said this was a bad idea. One person even chimed in and said that he was showing off his tank to his friends, caught a house fly and put it in his tank and with in a week his tank was almost nuked because of the chemicals the fly picked up around the house.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 36 38.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back