Will chrysophytes kill snails if eaten?

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically like the title says, will chrysophytes kill snails if eaten? I have a turbo that spent a couple days mowing down a patch on a rock and now it can’t seem to stay upright every time I check my tank(at least 3 times a day) it is on its shell all sucked in not looking to good I give it flip and might find it halfways up the glass one min only to come back and find it upside down again. No longer going after the rock it was eating from previously though.

you can see the bare patch it mowed down in the pic

F7F001B0-7435-4952-9039-03F1115E45E0.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

I have no clue... maybe it's just full and has a tummy ache! ;Hilarious

I hope it recovers. Good luck.

OP
OP
H

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

I have no clue... maybe it's just full and has a tummy ache! ;Hilarious

I hope it recovers. Good luck.
Thanks me too it’s still been acting kinda funny laying in the sand on it’s side with a pile of sand stuck to it like it tried to walk away after I put it right side up but still ended up on it’s side. ‍♂️ It ain’t dead yet...

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks me too it’s still been acting kinda funny laying in the sand on it’s side with a pile of sand stuck to it like it tried to walk away after I put it right side up but still ended up on it’s side. ‍♂️ It ain’t dead yet...
Did your turbo recover? I have chrysophytes as well and my turbo is acting similar.

Also, do you know of any snails/urchins that can eat chrysophytes with no problems?

OP
OP
H

huckilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your turbo recover? I have chrysophytes as well and my turbo is acting similar.

Also, do you know of any snails/urchins that can eat chrysophytes with no problems?
My hermit crabs ate all my snails except for a couple nassarius snails since they’re usually under the substrate.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My experience is Cerith snails eat chrysophytes in my tanks. They are not a long living snail - maybe 3 yrs, but whenever the ceriths are gone the chrysophytes come back, so I am only assuming they are the ones keeping it down. In fact I added 4 ceriths back to a 30 gallon frag system 6 weeks ago because of this believed association, and the chrysophytes are now gone again. It's usually better if there's not other greener algae for them to eat because I don't think it's their favourite. I find the Mexican ceriths ( dark with white dots) cover alot more ground but the Caribbean ones are more thorough cleaners.

Back