Will coralline algae grow over other algae types and will other algae types grow over coralline?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock is covered with a variety of thin to medium algae growth. My snails keep most of it short, but never get it down to bare rock. Will coralline grow over this, or does it need bare rock to get established?
And once it is there will other types of algae grow over the new coralline?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock is covered with a variety of thin to medium algae growth. My snails keep most of it short, but never get it down to bare rock. Will coralline grow over this, or does it need bare rock to get established?
And once it is there will other types of algae grow over the new coralline?
A pic would help but generally corraline grows under most algaes and on hard surfaces i dont think it would grow on algae. Never seen it. Youll have to remove the algae for it to grow there. Corraline loves diffuse dim light.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pic would help but generally corraline grows under most algaes and on hard surfaces i dont think it would grow on algae. Never seen it. Youll have to remove the algae for it to grow there. Corraline loves diffuse dim light.
OK, Thanks. It sounds like I really need to clean off some down to bare rock. I don't have a disastrous algae issue, but there is at least a thin green layer on all of the rock.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, Thanks. It sounds like I really need to clean off some down to bare rock. I don't have a disastrous algae issue, but there is at least a thin green layer on all of the rock.
Yes that sounds like the start of hair algae. Lots of clean up crew helps. Sea urchins and snails are my favorite.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on our gha analysis threads going back over ten years we've noted how algae favors non coralline patches, allelopathy we collected lots of pics of the patterning.

its not 100% exclusive but much like coral flesh its highly exclusive to gha and common anchored reef plants (anyone recall the last time we saw bryopsis attached to the actual mouth on the flesh of a frogspawn)

its fascinating which surfaces in a reef tank are 100% algae rejecting and which ones are 90% on down. there is a gradient and coralline is on it. to this day ive never seen algae attached to a bubble coral plerogyra polyp ie most lps flesh seems to be 100% exclusive to epibenthic algae attachment.

zoanthids can't claim this, in their thick flesh is all kinds of inclusions and algae can directly attach to thick zoanthid and palythoid flesh

agreed we or grazers need to clear off the algae and favor the accretions over the plants.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back