Will corals grow on E-Marco-400 Aquascaping Mortar

Discussion in 'Marco Rocks' started by seitzjh, Aug 4, 2018.

1. seitzjh

seitzjh Active Member Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

2. seitzjh

3. pga7602

pga7602 Active Member

Oh heck yes! I actually make custom plates with it and have grown ups and chalices right on top of it. You won't have a problem. Just treat like it's real LR

seitzjh likes this.
  4. seitzjh

Great!
    Thank you @pga7602

5. seitzjh

@pga7602 have you tried growing any other types on it?

6. pga7602

pga7602 Active Member

Just sps, gonipora and chalice. What did you want to grow on it?

7. seitzjh

I helping out a non-profit trying to find something that corals can grow on for an artificial reef. I'm guessing they are looking something that anything can grow on and is safe. If i remember correctly they said the concrete or cement structures they have out in the artificial reefs that corals aren't growing on it. So those are the only ones you have tried and succeed?

8. FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim Shark Advocate R2R Supporter Tampa Bay Reef Keepers West Palm Beach Reefer Build Thread Contributor

I know this is an old thread but I just bought the Marco E-Marco-400 Mortar kit since I need to build my Mini custom scape for the back of my new SCA 150 build which I wil be using some of my old school Tonga Branch that I had left over from a previous tank. Anyhow, When I OPEN UP the kit, there was a nice size bag of Mortar and a tiny white Pouch of this white solution. The directions said to add 12oz of water if I was going to use the entire kit at one time but it tells you to make smaller batches since the stuff drys in 20 minutes, which it does, so that's what I did, made just enough to lock in a few pieces of my Tonga Branches. Anyways, last night I went ahead and poured in some of the Mortar and about an ounce of the white solution which was not enough so I added a tinny bit more and it finally started to mix and form and get that constituency that I needed it to be which was putty-like form. I just wanted to show you the structure I built and how much I have left of this (White Solution) FYI- THERE is no way there is enough of this Polymer to mix vs how much Mortar in the bad I got. See below on how much I have left from only applying a very small batch!
    It very miss leading when in the directions tells you to add water to the Mortar but if you watch any of the people reviews on YouTube not one *** water to the mortar. This IS A GREAT PRODUCTS, there is no doubt about it but there is no way there would be enough of that White Solution in order to mix. Take a look at how much is advertised but you can see how much you actually get and this white solution did not even come in a bottle a little tiny pouch.
    Before Pix
    Tonga Branch left over.JPG
    After pix
    Tongabranch showpcs#3.jpeg
    This is what I have left over from doing a very small project with E-Marco - E-400 Mortar Kit
    Marcomix.png
    vs as Advertised look at the difference
    Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 8.28.28 AM.png

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  9. seitzjh

I had a lot left over. I even applied some of the solution to spots of the rock as it said. IMO I think you might have used to much solution. When mixing you to make it wet with out slumping.

10. FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim Shark Advocate R2R Supporter Tampa Bay Reef Keepers West Palm Beach Reefer Build Thread Contributor

@seitzjh - The E-400 Marco Mortar is the best product on the market for cementing your scape in place. I am going more minimalist type scape for my new SCA 150 build that I AM working on.
    Here are the pieces I am only adding to the system, my custom Tonga Branch back showpiece scape that will lay across the back of my tank, a Center showpiece that I had made that 36''x12''x15'' and two corner VidaWAVES that are pretty big pieces.

Marcomix.png

Tonga Branch left over.JPG

Tongabranch showpcs#1.jpeg

Tongabranch showpcs#3.jpeg

SCA150.JPG

seitzjh likes this.
  11. DesertReefBoy

DesertReefBoy Active Member

Awesome thread! I just purchased e Marco 400 as well and will be using it on live rock I have been cycling in a brute can for 4 months. How long do I have to wait once the cement is applied before I can put it back in my tank that is full of saltwater?

12. FLSharkvictim

I WOULD LET IT cure for a min of 3 months.

13. DesertReefBoy

Wow it has to cure for 3 months before it can get wet?

14. FLSharkvictim

Every tank, is different! If its a new tank, then 2 or 3 and you should be good to go with some Dr Tim's bacteria solution.

[​IMG]

15. DesertReefBoy

@FLSharkvictim

Sorry about the confusion. I wasn’t asking about the cycle. I was saying I have rock that has been curing and cycling for the past 3-4 months in a brute can. Now I want to aquascape it and was wondering how long I need to let the mortor dry before I can put it back in the tank? I’m planning on using E Marco 400 mortor.

16. seitzjh

I would give about 30 mins to set before putting back in the water. You might want to touch it first to check dryness. It will still cure while in water.

DesertReefBoy likes this.
  17. FLSharkvictim

O my bad! You can use this stuff in your tank and it's totally reef safe! Dry time is 8 hrs for fully cured.

DesertReefBoy likes this.
  18. FLSharkvictim

Does anybody know where the best place to sell Equipment thats brand new?

19. DesertReefBoy

Sales forum

FLSharkvictim likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted