Will dying coral foul a tank

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm leaving town for about 10 days and I just started a 20g tank and added some rocks from my big tank with some xenia and mushrooms on them, but the tank doesn't have a light yet. I don't care if the xenia or mushrooms die (doubt that would happen sigh). But would it ruin the water quality if they did??

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought. If you just started the tank, would any dying coral provide an ammonia source for the initial cycle? I have absolutely zero experience with that, but it could be plausible. I wonder what others think.

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips, carbon is a good easy idea. Aquanaut that's an interesting theory although I'm not really expecting a cycle since it'll have all established LR (8+ years old) from my other tank plus a ton of LR rubble from my sump. The only thing that won't be live and established is about 75% of the sand

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips, carbon is a good easy idea. Aquanaut that's an interesting theory although I'm not really expecting a cycle since it'll have all established LR (8+ years old) from my other tank plus a ton of LR rubble from my sump. The only thing that won't be live and established is about 75% of the sand

Still, if the dying corals provide an ammonia source, it could still feed the bacteria while you're gone. Shouldn't hurt anything unless the corals release toxins (that would be my concern). You'd probably need to do a water change when you get back.

Back