Will Foxface get used to copper?

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a Foxface on Friday and gave him a couple of days before starting anything. He was, of course, stressed for the first day but then started to relax, eating, and got his color back. So I started copper treatment using Coppersafe. Last night I added enough to get the level to 0.5ppm with the intention of adding 0.5ppm each day to get to 2ppm (all verified with my Hanna copper checker).
However, since the first dose last night, he has been super stressed and hiding all day with blotchy colors. Should I go ahead and add the next 0.5ppm today? Will he get used to the copper?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn’t from the copper. I’ve run hundreds of foxface, three species, through coppersafe over the past five years with no adverse side effects.
Delaying to add copper can be a mistake in that any time spent below the treatment dose can allow disease to gain a foothold.
You do need to figure what is going on though:
Is the fish breathing fast/heavy?
Is the fish feeding?
What is the ammonia testing at?
Are you holding the fish Under bright lights?
Jay

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not breathing heavy
He was eating as of yesterday. I have not seen him eat today yet.
I am testing the ammonia every day and it is always at 0.
As far as lighting, I accidentally left the lights on last night, but only blues. So he was under blue light all night until this morning when I cut them off.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not breathing heavy
He was eating as of yesterday. I have not seen him eat today yet.
I am testing the ammonia every day and it is always at 0.
As far as lighting, I accidentally left the lights on last night, but only blues. So he was under blue light all night until this morning when I cut them off.
If it is completely refusing all food, that's a bad sign of course. However, it isn't related to copper toxicity, so you should get the copper up to 2.0 right away. Can you try posting a short video of the fish?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the fish look as emaciated in person like it does in the video? Was the fish shipped in to you? If so, who did you order it from?
Jay

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had not thought about him looking emaciated, but when I looked closer at him, he does seem a bit thin. I had him shipped from Live Aquaria. He had colored up and was eating the second day I had him so I am not sure why the turn for the worse.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Aquaria drops ships from a big wholesaler in LA, I’ve heard that the quality has been hit or miss, but I don’t have any firsthand knowledge.
This looks like a fish that went through a big salinity rise (dehydration, lack of appetite) but that would have shown up immediately, not two days later. Sorry, I don’t have any other ideas at this point.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help Jay. i will keep an eye on him and hope he bounces back. I really appreciate it.
One last thing - if your tank is running at a high specific gravity, you might consider dropping it to 1.020 to reduce stress in the fish.
Jay

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia started creeping up a bit so I did a 30% water change this morning. He wasn’t looking great this morning. I lowered the salinity and added copper back to the change water.
It is now the afternoon and he has his color back and is regularly eating at the nori I have clipped to the side.
should I keep the lights out completely other than the ambient light from the room? I will have the water up to 2ppm copper by this evening (currently at 1.5]

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back