Will I have a much harder time if I don’t use ATO?

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies guys. Actually I’ll see if I can have one shipped from the US or Europe to China. Converter plugs are available to me. Any brands you suggest? Tank will be 6 foot 183 gallons, Width 2.3 foot and height 1.8 foot. Not sure though since many don’t ship to China.
I have a Tunze 3155 that I like. Had it for about 9 years.

Zuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don’t think ATOs are nearly as necessary as people make them out to be. I’ve been running my most successful tank without one for years, I just top off manually in the morning and again at night. My other tanks use simple gravity ATOs with a float valve and they work fine too.

6491A2E4-4488-47B3-9F8A-5007B3CD85A7.jpeg
Awesome tank, any details or a build thread on it?

Agree that an ATO in not necessary for a successful reef but is nice to have when you go on vacation.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Jebao dosing pump for my ATO. I set the pump to dose a little less freshwater than I need and manually top off the difference once a week.

The downside to this approach is that if evaporation changes, you'll need to modify your dose. This doesn't happen very often where I live though. If it does, the change is very slow and I have time to adjust. The big upside to this approach is there are no float switches or optical sensors to fail.

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can elevate your top-off container above the return chamber in your sump, then just use gravity & a PVC gate valve to create a drip of top-off water. The evaporate rate is nearly constant from day to day w/ small changes required seasonally. It's simple, & unlike ATO's, it will never fail causing freshwater to flush into the tank. We have been using this method for a few years using a kalk drip.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to put a small powerhead as high as I could in the tank, and when I would get evaporation it would make a terrible sound and I would or someone in the house would add water.

Back