Will I lose an entire colony from coral warfare?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have over 60 SPS corals in my 150 and it won't be long before they are all up in each other's business. I have already had some corals touch and I ended up having to trim them back because they were receding. If a coral wins the fight against another will it kill the entire colony or just affect the area it is touching?

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it will all depend on the coral. I have 2 corals that are touching each other right now (PC rainbow and ORA Pearl berry) and neither of them seemed to be affected. I am going to leave them be, and see what happens in the long run, but they are both growing fine, and do not see any of the 2 pieces that are touching each other receding or turning white.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acro on acro crime? Usually death where they touch for me, then one grows on the other. No complete wipe out like some people swear happens, which may, but have never IME.

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my 2.

20200220_171154.jpg

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acro on acro crime? Usually death where they touch for me, then one grows on the other. No complete wipe out like some people swear happens, which may, but have never IME.

Yes lol. That is what I am hoping. Otherwise, I am going to be trimming everyday.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually see them fight and one will win the first time, then when they grow back and touch again and the other one will win, eventually one will continue growing over the other. It takes a lot of touching for complete wipe-out in my experience.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually see them fight and one will win the first time, then when they grow back and touch again and the other one will win, eventually one will continue growing over the other. It takes a lot of touching for complete wipe-out in my experience.

That is good to hear. The real question is could the Colony RTN because of touching? They grow slow so if I did notice it starting to TN then I could trim it back. However, if they RTN overnight then I wouldn't have a chance to resolve the issue. That is my main concern.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good to hear. The real question is could the Colony RTN because of touching? They grow slow so if I did notice it starting to TN then I could trim it back. However, if they RTN overnight then I wouldn't have a chance to resolve the issue. That is my main concern.
Depending on how much it touching, it is possible to cause an RTN. Also depends on type of coral, mille can be quite aggressive at times. If its just base touching it usually fine, you can always epoxy over both at the base and kill them back some if worried about it.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how much it touching, it is possible to cause an RTN. Also depends on type of coral, mille can be quite aggressive at times. If its just base touching it usually fine, you can always epoxy over both at the base and kill them back some if worried about it.

Yeah I have some epoxy on stand by for the base just in case. Its more of the branching I am concerned about. Really no turning back at this point. It is either spend a lot of time trimming or let it ride and see what happens. Would be good to have a thread with documented warfare for future reference?

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have some epoxy on stand by for the base just in case. Its more of the branching I am concerned about. Really no turning back at this point. It is either spend a lot of time trimming or let it ride and see what happens. Would be good to have a thread with documented warfare for future reference?
Post some pics of your issue.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post some pics of your issue.

I don't have an issue......yet. Trying to determine if I will have an issue in the near future. I have a lot of SPS within close proximity of each other and it could be a real problem in 6 months.

Is it bad that I am still thinking of picking up another couple pieces this weekend? I have a problem.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back