Will I need to QT my inverts and coral before I transfer them to my new DT?

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says, I was wondering if I would need to QT my inverts and corals before switching them over from my old tank to my new DT?

Thank you! ;Bookworm

MrTPlush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says, I was wondering if I would need to QT my inverts and corals before switching them over from my old tank to my new DT?

Thank you! ;Bookworm
Ideally you should be QTing anything wet for 76 days or so since you cannot treat with copper. I’ve heard some people say inverts that molt (shrimp) can go in after a molt. There is certainly risk of corals and inverts bringing in fish disease.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you! ;Bookworm
All about risk acceptance lol! I QT my fish religiously now. Corals and inverts go straight in. Risk I'm willing to take.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All about risk acceptance lol! I QT my fish religiously now. Corals and inverts go straight in. Risk I'm willing to take.
Same, I dip corals but don’t wait on inverts/frags. Haven’t seen anything introduced since I started QTing my fish years ago

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people do not quarantine clean up crew or corals. Most people do dip corals in an effort to get rid of pests.

It is theoretically possible to get fish diseases piggy backing on inverts into your display. But I think that is a pretty long shot.

What is more likely is that pests of various sorts will piggy back on inverts and corals into your display. Aptasia would be a strong possibility here.

Another thing that could happen is that you get pests or diseases of the corals or inverts into your system. One prominent example to this would be acro eating flatworms (AEF). If you get these guys into a display, it is a major deal getting rid of them. I have not gotten any coral diseases into my tank.

Quarantining clean up crew is not that hard. Just stick them into a small tank and be sure that they get enough food.

Quarantining corals is a bigger production. You would need a frag tank and if you have a frag tank, that means getting essentially a frag quarantine tank. With corals, getting them from very highly regarded aquaculture facilities will obviate this problem (venders like Battlecorals, Top Shelf Aquatics, World Wide Corals and any number of others come to mind).

This sort of thing is kind of knowing what the risk is and do you bother to take the precautions.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people do not quarantine clean up crew or corals. Most people do dip corals in an effort to get rid of pests.

It is theoretically possible to get fish diseases piggy backing on inverts into your display. But I think that is a pretty long shot.

What is more likely is that pests of various sorts will piggy back on inverts and corals into your display. Aptasia would be a strong possibility here.

Another thing that could happen is that you get pests or diseases of the corals or inverts into your system. One prominent example to this would be acro eating flatworms (AEF). If you get these guys into a display, it is a major deal getting rid of them. I have not gotten any coral diseases into my tank.

Quarantining clean up crew is not that hard. Just stick them into a small tank and be sure that they get enough food.

Quarantining corals is a bigger production. You would need a frag tank and if you have a frag tank, that means getting essentially a frag quarantine tank. With corals, getting them from very highly regarded aquaculture facilities will obviate this problem (venders like Battlecorals, Top Shelf Aquatics, World Wide Corals and any number of others come to mind).

This sort of thing is kind of knowing what the risk is and do you bother to take the precautions.
I have 2 other tanks.

I have a normal 10 gallon that I was going to dedicate to fish QT only and I was thinking about turning my fluval 13.5g into a small QT frag tank. I have a AI Prime 16HD and plenty of flow in it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very rare to get straight solid advice that mimics the disease forum outside the disease forum.

the answer is usually open ended: I have not quarantined a thing in 32 years (pics of immaculate home reef)

I did read this as a secondary transfer, they're not coming from a pet store. if the first round never got a proper fallow then this is an intercept point.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back