Will I regret choosing a 55 gallon tank?

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently decided to build a reef tank on as careful a budget as possible.

I have a shelf in my office that should hold the weight and just barely will fit a 48.25 inch long tank. It’s very tight.

I got a 55g from PetCo on sale, and if I use this I’ll have about 10 inches of space behind the tank. I thought of getting a Fiji Cube AIO drop in box and perhaps a HOB skimmer.

The. I come to find that Fiji stopped making the 55g drop in, so I’d need to get the box for a 75 and put it in sideways (as opposed to at the end making a peninsula style tank). Argh!

That issue combined with my seeing that 55s are a bit frowned upon I’m tempted to do a 75, but am concerned that having only 4 inches behind the tank won’t be very useful and also the added weight is making me a bit nervous.

Is a 55 really that bad of an idea in this scenario?

What would you do if you were me?

F50ABD48-E4A4-43DD-824F-9D16EC6E4AE9.jpeg 8E93E90E-A8DD-4A85-AFA6-7DBE91896D62.jpeg

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks may disagree, but I ran a 55 gallon saltwater for almost 2 years until a natural disaster buggered it. Friend of mine has been running a 55 for over 5 years and his corals look awesome.

Neither of us ran an AIO kit. Just an HOB Aquaclear 110 filter and HOB skimmer with some good lights. Heater in the tank.

Sure I had problems, but very few of them were related to equipment.

Am I saying “Do it!”, no. But can you, absolutely.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the only downside is it's a "tall" tank, but absolutely don't let that stop you. I think the only concern of mine would be the filter, having room in the back is ok, but a pain to work with if you drop anything back there. My experience has shown anything that is hard to maintain, doesn't get maintained; but as minorhero pointed out, if having a traditional sump is out of the question, then maximize what space you do have.

Just keep in mind the height is going to make you have deeper penetrating light, but as long as you are cognizant of that, you can build in whatever you want. Without space on the sides, it's going to be hard to get a wavemaker blowing across the tank unless it's with suction cups... most are magnetic.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over time the tank will destroy that small space. You will not have room to clean around it. Every drop of water that escapes leaves a bit of salt behind.
Yea agree don’t put a saltwater tank on any good furniture. It will ruin it and salt will somehow get everywhere. You’ll be shocked.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thinking is that a 55 is limited in space from front to back... a 75 would be more desirable IMO.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw op I have that same tank as my back up. Nothing really wrong with it other than it being deeper than what a lot of people like. I kinda like deep tanks they let you do some different aquascaping.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a shelf in my office that should hold the weight and just barely will fit a 48.25 inch long tank. It’s very tight.

I got a 55g from PetCo on sale, and if I use this I’ll have about 10 inches of space behind the tank. I thought of getting a Fiji Cube AIO drop in box and perhaps a HOB skimmer.

The. I come to find that Fiji stopped making the 55g drop in, so I’d need to get the box for a 75 and put it in sideways (as opposed to at the end making a peninsula style tank). Argh!

That issue combined with my seeing that 55s are a bit frowned upon I’m tempted to do a 75, but am concerned that having only 4 inches behind the tank won’t be very useful and also the added weight is making me a bit nervous.

F50ABD48-E4A4-43DD-824F-9D16EC6E4AE9.jpeg 8E93E90E-A8DD-4A85-AFA6-7DBE91896D62.jpeg
what's behind that back wall? IM just throwing idea out there if you can drill some holes in the back and get a sump on other side of that wall. I like to break walls in the house, i put a 500g tank inwall in my house.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest you read Ron Reefman's articles here. It may help you to decide what size to get. The larger questions are what do you want to have in the tank and how much money to spend? I am happy not to have anything larger than my 40 breeder.

Willhersh34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there is anything inherently bad about a 55, comes down to personal preference. I’d be worried about the space though. You wouldn’t have room to work and as others have pointed the salt would destroy the shelf/furniture. I have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank and I made sure to put it on a load bearing wall so the weight would not work there.

You certainly could do the 55 there and be successful just be aware you’re very likely to ruin the shelf

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and please dont put a power strip behind the tank where the salt will work on it.

I see the major disadvantage to a 55 being the depth requiring better lighting while the space is still limited by the width.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i have kept mostly 60g tanks and really enjoy it. It’s a good size and you can do a lot with it. I also happen to like your setup. You do need space for maintenance but you have good access in front and above. I run the aquamaxx HF-M hang on back filter. It is an all in one protein skimmer and mechanical/biological filter with a dosing chamber/small Refugium. I really like it, it’s quiet. Bd would do great in that tight space. It’s the only filtration I run.

you will need to make considerations for power, and lighting, but as long as you keep those away from the tank (maybe up high under the books) I think it should be ok.

bottom line, do what you think will work for your space and esthetics, then problem solve solutions to some of the challenges people have mentioned here.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it as long as you don't care about the furniture / walls getting destroyed by salt.

The space does look perfect though. I had a 55g up against a corner wall for years with no issues and this is essentially the same thing with one more wall on the side. As long as you are not Peter Dinklage you should have no problem reaching back there to change the HOB filter and navigating any other access issues.

I love that both sides are against the wall so you can put some rock up against those and make it look all the more natural without worrying about obstructing the side view.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with a 75G or even a 60 breeder before I used a 55G. Too narrow for aquascaping. If you have the width, I'd use it.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back