Will I regret choosing a 55 gallon tank?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first saw the title, I was going to suggest a 75....same length as a 55, but has more width for nicer rock scaping. Now when I saw the photo of the 55 crammed into the tight space, I immediately starting scratching my head....can't put power heads on the side walls. They are all going to have to go on the back wall. Also can't run a Mag cleaner on the side walks.

My two cents, that space is too tight. I'd go for a 40 Breeder....will give you the width for rock scaping, and room on the sides to mount powerheads.

Upon further review, I second all of this.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am blown away by all this advice, truly thank you all.

I plan on looking for a different tank, one that allows access to the sides. I'm frustrated now, but will likely be very happy when I can actually reach around this tank to learn up any mess that will inevitably occur.

My question now is....

If I downsize to a 40G breeder, will there be a significant advantage in having an AOI drop in Fiji box, as opposed to a HOB filter? or should I just go with the HOB to conserve space (and save some money)?
I would do a "what if" and see how you are going to feel about getting to the back of the tank to clean the glass, deal with coral, or catch a critter. Remember you are going to have lights above in a very tight space. Are you going to want to remove them each time or worry about them falling into the water? Working from the side is not going to be convenient with the woodwork. I have to get on a stepstool to do maintenance and would not want to be obstructed in a setup like this. In terms of putting in acrylic sheets, it's going to be a pain to try to mop up any spills since you won't be able to see in the back.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have room for an HOB, I wouldn't bother with a drop in AIO mod that takes up valuable space within the display.

OP
OP
SharkRacer

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a SeaChem Tidal 75. Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

Would it make sense for me to build a small platform for the tank to sit on? Maybe just a 2x4 frame, constructed in a way that gave me just a couple of inches of airflow underneath the tank (and the ability to reach in there with a towel or sponge to clean up any spills?

This may also spread the weight load over a bit more surface area (and that center piece would align perfectly with the primary center support in the shelf.

(My drawing is missing a center support 2x4 as well running on top of the one shown in the drawing)

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 9.07.26 AM.png

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a SeaChem Tidal 75. Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

Would it make sense for me to build a small platform for the tank to sit on? Maybe just a 2x4 frame, constructed in a way that gave me just a couple of inches of airflow underneath the tank (and the ability to reach in there with a towel or sponge to clean up any spills?

This may also spread the weight load over a bit more surface area (and that center piece would align perfectly with the primary center support in the shelf.

(My drawing is missing a center support 2x4 as well running on top of the one shown in the drawing)

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 9.07.26 AM.png
I don’t believe this is necessary. There is really no reason to clean under the tank. The weight of the tank prevents water from running underneath. Some people put something like rubber shelf liner or something like that underneath, but that’s more just yo protect the surface. With a tank this size, I personally would just set it there.

OP
OP
SharkRacer

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's behind that back wall? IM just throwing idea out there if you can drill some holes in the back and get a sump on other side of that wall. I like to break walls in the house, i put a 500g tank inwall in my house.
Unfortunately the other side of that wall is my (wife’s) family room. Not gonna open that can of worms. Haha

OP
OP
SharkRacer

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go HOB filter i like the Tidal Seachem filters. Theyre more expensive than the cheapo versions you can get a pet stores but will last a long time and have warranties. I use a Tidal 35 on my 10g and a Tidal 55 on my 29g. You could do the 75 or 110 I would do 110 probably just for maximum filtering. They have large areas for media carbon and what not.
I just got the Tidal 75. Thanks for the tip!

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently decided to build a reef tank on as careful a budget as possible.

I have a shelf in my office that should hold the weight and just barely will fit a 48.25 inch long tank. It’s very tight.

I got a 55g from PetCo on sale, and if I use this I’ll have about 10 inches of space behind the tank. I thought of getting a Fiji Cube AIO drop in box and perhaps a HOB skimmer.

The. I come to find that Fiji stopped making the 55g drop in, so I’d need to get the box for a 75 and put it in sideways (as opposed to at the end making a peninsula style tank). Argh!

That issue combined with my seeing that 55s are a bit frowned upon I’m tempted to do a 75, but am concerned that having only 4 inches behind the tank won’t be very useful and also the added weight is making me a bit nervous.

Is a 55 really that bad of an idea in this scenario?

What would you do if you were me?

F50ABD48-E4A4-43DD-824F-9D16EC6E4AE9.jpeg 8E93E90E-A8DD-4A85-AFA6-7DBE91896D62.jpeg
No & yes…Still a great tank but not as deep if you go a little bigger.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the Tidal 75. Thanks for the tip!
Np. I love them. Great saltwater HOB. If you get a 2nd one you can put a little light on it and turn it into a refugium as well but glad you got one. If you don't like the sound of waterfalls I would suggest you keep your water level at the height of the spout for the return. The only thing that makes sound is my skimmer. Very quiet Tidal filters if you have the right water height.

OP
OP
SharkRacer

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after doing a maintenance “dress rehearsal” I’ve decided I need the tank out as far as possible so I can leave enough space to reach behind the tank and got some HOB stuff.
Now I’m wondering the best way to waterproof the cubby.

Has anyone had luck using super thin (but rigid) plastic sheeting to bend around a small shelf like this?

the bottom and top lip of the tank have ZERO wiggle room so if I did it I’d need to cut out a shape in the side panels to perfectly slot over these two tank lips.

see drawing to see what I mean

my hope is that by doing this, then running a silicone bead around every seam, I could totally waterproof the entire area. This could avoid me having to paint with a toxic waterproof paint (that would likely scratch off when I slide the tank back in. Yea, the fit is that tight! Only 1-2 mm of clearance.

Attachments

• BF8B4905-B166-4C8D-96AA-EE13E8C789FB.jpeg
    BF8B4905-B166-4C8D-96AA-EE13E8C789FB.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 27
  • 01AFA5F5-2AE0-4491-8699-5C03F0B54B30.jpeg
    01AFA5F5-2AE0-4491-8699-5C03F0B54B30.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 18

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after doing a maintenance “dress rehearsal” I’ve decided I need the tank out as far as possible so I can leave enough space to reach behind the tank and got some HOB stuff.

Has anyone had luck using super thin (but rigid) plastic sheeting to bend around a small shelf like this?

the bottom and top lip of the tank have ZERO wiggle room so if I did it I’d need to cut out a shape in the side panels to perfectly slot over these two tank lips.

my hope is that by doing this, then running a silicone bead around every seam, I could totally waterproof the entire area. This could avoid me having to paint with a toxic waterproof paint (that would likely scratch off when I slide the tank back in. Yea, the fit is that tight! Only 1-2 mm of clearance.
You could epoxy paint it with black pool or animal safe epoxy that way you also won't see you shelf behind you tank. That way it will be waterproof animal safe and look good.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently decided to build a reef tank on as careful a budget as possible.

I have a shelf in my office that should hold the weight and just barely will fit a 48.25 inch long tank. It’s very tight.

I got a 55g from PetCo on sale, and if I use this I’ll have about 10 inches of space behind the tank. I thought of getting a Fiji Cube AIO drop in box and perhaps a HOB skimmer.

The. I come to find that Fiji stopped making the 55g drop in, so I’d need to get the box for a 75 and put it in sideways (as opposed to at the end making a peninsula style tank). Argh!

That issue combined with my seeing that 55s are a bit frowned upon I’m tempted to do a 75, but am concerned that having only 4 inches behind the tank won’t be very useful and also the added weight is making me a bit nervous.

Is a 55 really that bad of an idea in this scenario?

What would you do if you were me?

F50ABD48-E4A4-43DD-824F-9D16EC6E4AE9.jpeg 8E93E90E-A8DD-4A85-AFA6-7DBE91896D62.jpeg
Like mentioned earlier that cabinet might get a, let’s say salty. Maintenance in that spot might get old real quick. It looks good in that spot but you might want to look down the sides to find something in the tank or just for enjoyment. So I feel the cabinet is restricting on viewage and access. It’s going to get wet and nasty stuff will get on it. But it does look good closed in in that spot just things to think about.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What about a clear polyurethane finish on the wood shelf with a silicone bead around the perimeter. You shouldn’t have a ton of water just splashes here and there.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back