Will it truly ever go away? Dinoflagellates vs. Metronidazole

jumplittlechloe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following your progress and looks like things are going well! What day are you up to for dosing? I am on day 4 and it is the first time my water column has been clear for months. I am going to keep dosing for around 15 days and see what happens.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following your progress and looks like things are going well! What day are you up to for dosing? I am on day 4 and it is the first time my water column has been clear for months. I am going to keep dosing for around 15 days and see what happens.
I dosed for a total of 10 days. At day 3 is when I noticed the reduction.

baseballfanatic2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least beat them back quite quickly. I need to do some sampling and see if I can find that larger variety that went from being the most prolific to not being seen at all.
I think I have some in my tank. I see a lot of people dosing, but can't seem to see what most are doing? The Metronidazole or bleach dosing.
Do you by any chance have sps?

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have some in my tank. I see a lot of people dosing, but can't seem to see what most are doing? The Metronidazole or bleach dosing.
Do you by any chance have sps?
Yes I have a couple small peices right now. They weren't effected by the dosing.

I have not dosed any bleach. It has a much higher risk. Fish deaths are not acceptable for me. I'd much rather just keep the dinoflagelets in check and metro seems like a fairly safe way to do that. I'll keep it on hand for when ever I do something wrong and cause a cyano and dino outbreak. I'm sure it will happen again.

I did spot one of the larger dinoflagelets the other day while looking at a sample from my ATS. Also, saw something very interesting that was enveloping what could be encysted dinos and splitting.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/our-tanks-biology-up-close.239838/page-14#post-3156126

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update. I have seen none of the larger dinoflagelets for months now. The smaller ones yes but I don't think they are harmful. I am trying to push for a bloom right now but have really only gotten mainly cyano.

In that last post above that was a basic very large amoeba that seems to be able to consume just about anything. I've found a few more and some with diatoms consumed as well.

I would say the metro was really rather successful against at least that one dinoflagelets.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 10 days of dosing 500mg Metro 2x day in my 30 gallon system. It worked very well, while I was dosing. About a week after that I started dosing the vibrant stuff, 1.5x recommended dose, every 3 days. I have put 6 doses of the vibrant through so far. I get very tiny spots of dinos here and there....same stubborn 2 patches, less than dime sized. I take a toothbrush and scrub them off, but a couple of days later they poke up. But nothing like I had. Metro is great for kicking the hell out of it in my experience, but won't kill it off completely (as Twillard and others have already shared).

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tons of People are Saying they Got Rid of Dinos with Vibrant.

Check out this Thread.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner-discussion-thread.271428/

The Manufacturer Claims Dinos will be gone in 2-5 Doses!

Everyone says it works too.

I would not assume the dinoflagelets to be eliminated. Or work against many types of dinoflagelets and I wouldn't want it to impact all forms of dinoflagelets. Some are good.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-by-uwc-testing.276336/

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else having luck with this

Keep in mind this worked and didn't work for me. It most definitely helped to quickly push back the largest and what seems to have been the worse of the types dino's in my tank. It did nothing to the smaller and what I assume less harmful ones. So, this may not work against many other variations of this diverse species.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind this worked and didn't work for me. It most definitely helped to quickly push back the largest and what seems to have been the worse of the types dino's in my tank. It did nothing to the smaller and what I assume less harmful ones. So, this may not work against many other variations of this diverse species.

With well over 2000 species of Dinos, that both makes sense and puts hope in perspective.

How about a 7 month update?

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With well over 2000 species of Dinos, that both makes sense and puts hope in perspective.

How about a 7 month update?
I still have both in the tank as seen under a microscope. But nothing visually so they are kept in check by some balance in the tank.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some metro tests on a couple of different species of dinos.
Metro is largely effective vs ostreopsis, a few cells will form cysts and survive, but it knocks back the plague well, and leaves other forms of diversity unaffected.
I also tested high doses of metro for extended time versus small cell and large cell amphidinium (two diff species) because they aren't known to form cysts, I was optimistic.
Metro was totally ineffective at killing amphidinium, or even knocking population back.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I caught myself up on this thread. @jason2459 you make me want to buy a different scope! My toy microscope does not do justice over yours. Which one are you working with out of curiosity? Also do you attempt to shake up your samples to get a more even distribution over the slide?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back