Will kessil A500x add shimmer with ati 8 bulb?

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

In this case we would not have an accurate resolution to this issue as we are unfamiliar how other lighting brands interact with our lighting.

The amount of bulbs you have might make it harder for the shimmer effect to come through as it will have to blend with your other lighting.

It's definitely a roll of the dice as every persons tank/setup is different and not everyone uses the same lighting equipment.

Best regards,
Kessil

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@zachtos I've been looking into your question a bit further. I found numerous examples of people utilizing T5 to "minimize" the shimmer if Kessils purposefully.

I LOVE that shimmer, but to each his own. With that being said the A500X is a very powerful fixture. With an 8 bulb T5 like you have, I kind of doubt it would add major amounts of shimmer. Maybe only a slight amount and that's a lot of money to spend for a very limited amount if shimmer.

Good luck and if you were closer we could try mine .

OP
OP
zachtos

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@zachtos I've been looking into your question a bit further. I found numerous examples of people utilizing T5 to "minimize" the shimmer if Kessils purposefully.

I LOVE that shimmer, but to each his own. With that being said the A500X is a very powerful fixture. With an 8 bulb T5 like you have, I kind of doubt it would add major amounts of shimmer. Maybe only a slight amount and that's a lot of money to spend for a very limited amount if shimmer.

Good luck and if you were closer we could try mine .
Ok. I think I'll stick with the blanket of light approach with some ATI Straton (if they ever restock). SPS are mature and tall, there will be too much shadowing and cause issues.

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer. Yes, they would add shimmer, especially if placed equidistant in the "front" of cener line of your reef, in the middle line of each 1/3rd as you face the reef.
So would three A360WE. I supplement my six ViparSpectra with six A360WE as my reef runs down the center of the 300 and I need to illuminate both the "front" and the "back" of the aquarium.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ray

Attachments

• 20210809_154937.jpg
    20210809_154937.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210721_120319.mp4
    20.3 MB

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing shimmers more than a Kessil. They are rather delicate and can last 9 months or 5 years with luck.

I use the ATI 8bulb and would consider 2 kessils at end to add shimmer. In end they lack much punch and will be aethestics just like adding an OR3 blue sky for pop. Entirely optional!

OP
OP
zachtos

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I've ended up tracking down a 3 ATI straton LED fixtures in Europe and on order now. I also bought a 2 - 60" true UV LED lumenbar from reefbreeders. I'll test it out and measure sometime. I know I need a nice blanket of light with my mature wall to wall SPS, so I steered away from kessil even though I really want the shimmer, I don't think it's best for my coral right now.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Very nice. The worst thing you can do is crank those Stratons way up. You need a PAR meter because the Stratons have many more UV and Violet than any other fixture. They work great and I suggest going with the SPS/LPS Mixed Mode. SPS Mode is 100% white and it just screams bleach Mode.

If you need help, shoot me a message, I normally respond instantly. As soon as you get them set the time zone and then update update firmware. Just download the tar file and upload it like you downloaded it. No need to unzip.

Can't wait to see it!

OP
OP
zachtos

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I have 2 par meters, a 10 year old apogee, and I just bought a new USB version. I'll be sure to throttle down a lot and slowly add more. LOL, maybe I did not need to add the 2 actinic LED bars then... I may eventually get a few kessils (weaker ones), just for night viewing or shimmer add when it's near sunset.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some photos would be great in the future. I have ATI products and would be interested in the future. I had difficulty with earlier Ecotech versions and put them away.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested 2 Kessil A360x's on an 8' with 4 Stratons, they do produce shimmer but it all depends on the spectrum being used on the Kessil. I will also be using the 2 Kessils along with 4 GNC Blue Ray Pro's on my 300, only for shimmer.

Edit: I will also add that I have a massive amount of surface agitation, the more agitation the more shimmer.

Last edited:

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I have a Straton over a 40 Cube for now. I also have a new Kessil A500X I thought of putting over with the Straton. Then a nuclear vaporizing of corals came to mind, :)

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a Straton over a 40 Cube for now. I also have a new Kessil A500X I thought of putting over with the Straton. Then a nuclear vaporizing of corals came to mind, :)

I REALLY contemplated trying the A500X's hung as high as possible, while I love blowing cash on lights I couldn't justifying it between hanging them temporarily and already having north of 10k in lights sitting around.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I REALLY contemplated trying the A500X's hung as high as possible, while I love blowing cash on lights I couldn't justifying it between hanging them temporarily and already having north of 10k in lights sitting around.
Sound just like me lol. I have about about same.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ATI t5 8 bulb 60" fixture over a 300 g SPS reef. I would like to add 3 kessil a500x along the front to attempt to add shimmer.

If this is possible please tell me or show. I
would not buy a spot light led otherwise.

IMG_20210711_194430467.jpg
Hey, beautiful aquarium... i think a couple would for sure. I have a couple with Orphek's and let me tell you sooooo many people think I'm running Metal halide based on the shimmer and color.

This is over a 300 gallon system as well.

1638542478979.png

You can see the shimmer very well in the below video.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey, beautiful aquarium... i think a couple would for sure. I have a couple with Orphek's and let me tell you sooooo many people think I'm running Metal halide based on the shimmer and color.

This is over a 300 gallon system as well.

1638542478979.png

You can see the shimmer very well in the below video.

Hey SDot!

That's a beautiful setup you have there. I am contemplating the Orphek Icon's as well. Not getting rid of the Straton by any means, I am just a light junkie haha. My and @Hydrored have a problem in that area of buying ALL of the lights :)

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey SDot!

That's a beautiful setup you have there. I am contemplating the Orphek Icon's as well. Not getting rid of the Straton by any means, I am just a light junkie haha. My and @Hydrored have a problem in that area of buying ALL of the lights :)
Lol, nice! Me too!! My theory.. just mine.. i think corals should be light stressed for a small period of time...just like in nature. I was looking for Stratons for months, couldnt find them so i upgrade my Orpheks. No complaints... those lights can grow coral and are par monsters in their own right. Im upgrading to icons since it was cheaper than getting new lights. Fyi only considered other lights when some of the channels burned out on 2 of my Orpheks.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 40 48.2%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%

Back