Will leather coral kill my bubble and sun coral?

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP
I purchased a devil's hand leather coral and did not realize until i got home and read about it that it releases toxins taht may harm my sun coral and bubble coral. Has anyone had any problems with it harming a bubble coral or a sun coral?

Thanks

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might hurt them if they’re all in a 2 gallon tank and you never do water changes and frag the leather inside the tank. if not then you’re fine :)

OP
OP
L

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gallon biocube and I change water every week. I just purchased it this evening and put it in the tank then read about it. Scared me to death.

IMG_0665 (1).jpg

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP
I purchased a devil's hand leather coral and did not realize until i got home and read about it that it releases toxins taht may harm my sun coral and bubble coral. Has anyone had any problems with it harming a bubble coral or a sun coral?

Thanks
I have 3 leathers they have never bothered anything, but don't frag them inside the tank

OP
OP
L

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might hurt them if they’re all in a 2 gallon tank and you never do water changes and frag the leather inside the tank. if not then you’re fine :)
Thank you. It is leaning over I need to reposition it because it is leaning over my zoa's. Will try to send a picture of it. It was big in the store but is small now. Its bottom is in a hole but it is still leaning over.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. It is leaning over I need to reposition it because it is leaning over my zoa's. Will try to send a picture of it. It was big in the store but is small now. Its bottom is in a hole but it is still leaning over.

No problem, them making contact won’t do any damage. It may take a few days to open up as well. The toxin is released a bit when it sheds but mostly if it’s attacked, like if you were to slice it up to frag it

OP
OP
L

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great don't worry
Thank you Mark. I can rest now. I was getting ready to try to figure out if I could convince the store to take it back tomorrow. Now I am ok. In attached a picture of it. It was tall an pink in the store. However, it is beginning to put out little buds. However now my blue lights are on.

IMG_0685.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, them making contact won’t do any damage. It may take a few days to open up as well. The toxin is released a bit when it sheds but mostly if it’s attacked, like if you were to slice it up to frag it
Thank you so much for your advice. I am so glad I joined this group. Thank you. Thanks to everyone.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Mark. I can rest now. I was getting ready to try to figure out if I could convince the store to take it back tomorrow. Now I am ok. In attached a picture of it. It was tall an pink in the store. However, it is beginning to put out little buds. However now my blue lights are on.

IMG_0685.jpg
it may take a few days for it to acclimate jn your tank and it also might shed soon to but don't worry they are hardy and peaceful

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back