Will live rock seed dry rock - Need some schooling!

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's recommended that you have 1 nass snail 1 algae snail and 1 crab per 10 gallons I would not recommend any starfish or emerald crab if you plan to have a reef.
I can't agree with this, I've never heard of an emerald crab causing problems in a reef, I've had one for a while and never once seen him bite a coral, though do watch out for those stars

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies, perhaps I spoke out of ignorance, you have much greater experience than mine. I will say though, I have had a emerald crab in a reef tank for a long time, never had anything but good things with him.

OP
OP
ydarr

ydarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking @ArowanaLover1902, the tank has done pretty well. We aren't 100% satisfied with it though. We are contemplating getting a slightly bigger tank, and are waiting on new lighting - we currently have a T5/Metal Halide combo, and we are not happy with it. If and when we set up a new tank, we will use live rock. The cycling process (for us at least), took forever! The previous tanks cycled once, and that was it. This particular tank, if I remember correctly, cycled 2-3 times. - more than likely due to the life rock / dry rock combo we used. Not something we will do again. Here's a picture that we took several months ago.

20170914_192933.jpg

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow the tank looks great, that rock seeded perfectly, love the zoas and duncan a ton too, but all the corals look awesome and healthy.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're considering new lighting I have to recommend the Current USA marine IC led (with loop), I run two of them on my 29 gallon biocube. My coral growth is awesome and the tank looks great, plus the lighting cycle is awesome and I have 2 Current USA wavemaker loop pumps hooked up to the same thing, I have a single remote for all of it and it is perfect. With one light you can do softies - large polyp stony, with two you can do any coral, softies-lps-sps. There's little-to-no heat too. I'd recommend to anyone.

OP
OP
ydarr

ydarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're considering new lighting I have to recommend the Current USA marine IC led (with loop), I run two of them on my 29 gallon biocube. My coral growth is awesome and the tank looks great, plus the lighting cycle is awesome and I have 2 Current USA wavemaker loop pumps hooked up to the same thing, I have a single remote for all of it and it is perfect. With one light you can do softies - large polyp stony, with two you can do any coral, softies-lps-sps. There's little-to-no heat too. I'd recommend to anyone.[/QUOTE

We just bought this one about a week ago, and are waiting for it to come in. Hopefully it's a good one. If not, I will return it. Fingers crossed!! https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...r_Aquariums-AquaMaxx-UJ94548-FILTFILD-vi.html

OP
OP
ydarr

ydarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're considering new lighting I have to recommend the Current USA marine IC led (with loop), I run two of them on my 29 gallon biocube. My coral growth is awesome and the tank looks great, plus the lighting cycle is awesome and I have 2 Current USA wavemaker loop pumps hooked up to the same thing, I have a single remote for all of it and it is perfect. With one light you can do softies - large polyp stony, with two you can do any coral, softies-lps-sps. There's little-to-no heat too. I'd recommend to anyone.

We just bought this one about a week ago, and are waiting for it to come in. Hopefully it's a good one. If not, I will return it. Fingers crossed!! https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...r_Aquariums-AquaMaxx-UJ94548-FILTFILD-vi.html

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back