Will male in clownfish pair stay small until female dies?

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read clownfish have been recorded to live over 40 years. My female maroon is approx 9 yrs and the male is about 3 or 4. She just kept growing from day one. Her white stripes turned gold and her body color darkened after about 4-5 years when I added the little one. It seems to eat less and hasn't grown as rapidly but his stripes have yellowed since I got him. Will the male eventually turn female if given enough time or not until she dies?

Attachments

• clowns.mp4
    10.8 MB

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read clownfish have been recorded to live over 40 years. My female maroon is approx 9 yrs and the male is about 3 or 4. She just kept growing from day one. Her white stripes turned gold and her body color darkened after about 4-5 years when I added the little one. It seems to eat less and hasn't grown as rapidly but his stripes have yellowed since I got him. Will the male eventually turn female if given enough time or not until she dies?
There will only be 1 female. If there were 2, thunderdome.

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will only be 1 female. If there were 2, thunderdome.
So some hormone or something prevents the male from getting larger to avoid that? I didn't know if in the wild maybe another female left the colony and moved elsewhere after changing. I always heard maroons were nasty but these two have been very good community fish.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some hormone or something prevents the male from getting larger to avoid that? I didn't know if in the wild maybe another female left the colony and moved elsewhere after changing. I always heard maroons were nasty but these two have been very good community fish.
If your female happened to die. The current male would transfer to being a dominant female. Not sure of the science. Even if you had a clown harem with 30 clowns, 29 dudes and 1 chick.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back