Will many different types of blennies get along together?

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many different amazing types of blennies. Can I have multiple different kinds or will they be aggressive to eachother?

Looking at Starry,Midas, bi color, and harptail.

Thanks in advance

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my first fish ( 3rd i think) was a tail spot blennie and wasnt going to add another blennie as was going to get a yellow tang,due to price rises of yellow tang i decided not to get one and then decided to get a bi colour blennie ( think 7th fish) and was 3- 4 weeks inbetween adding each fish so tail spot had quite some time to claim territory.my tank is mainly 2 large raises aquascapes so thought one each when added the bi colour.for at least 5 days the tail spot would literally lay in wait for bi colour to come out from in the rock or under it and be mad chase around the rocks ( boy these blennies are fast)tail spot wouldnt let bi colour come out to eat at feeding times or let it eat algae from the rocks but bi colour always managed to get some food floating past it. after 5 days it calmed down and for last few months they get on just fine.often perched right next to each other on the rocks.
My tank only 8 months roughly old and as only been few months since had 2 blennies but alls well so far.
They very intersting characters for sure

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How big is your tank they'd be going in? What's your aquascape like?

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank they'd be going in? What's your aquascape like?
60g Cube, many caves and ledges and hiding spots. Would only get 2 out of the 4 i was looking at. Just wanted to know if different species of blenny could coexist

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, maybe not. Even in a large tank fish sometimes go out of their way to be totally jerks. I had two dwarf angels and too dottybacks that couldn’t stand each other, but after a few weeks they settled down and became pals.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bicolor blenny in my 46 gallon tank now, and have been thinking about including another blenny in my stocking plan when I upgrade to an 80 gallon tank this fall. What I've read in other threads here is that it will be much more likely to work if they are of different genera.

Chrispelletier62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be best to put 2 in my 69 gal tank at the same time? Any benefits to putting them in at the same time or is that a bad idea??

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be best to put 2 in my 69 gal tank at the same time? Any benefits to putting them in at the same time or is that a bad idea??
Would be better putting in at same time i believe as then neither has any territory to defend from each other.and will give your other fish 2 new entries to put in pecking order rather than concentrate on just 1

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 55.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back