Will moving out tanks without portable air bubbler be ok?

mooputingtong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys i have an 15g nano tank and i will be moving my tanks to a new place. Its only 5mins away from my current house so im considering not to purchase air bubbler.
I will put all my livestock and bio filter media in a 5 gallon bucket and the transportation will take about 30mins or mabye little more. Will current oxygen in water be enough for my livestock and bacteria?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally I wouldnt worry about 5 minutes. I take breaks during my water changes, so power can be off for 1-2 hours on my tank.

With that said, battery powered air pump is only about $20, and its a good idea to have one anyway in case of power outage.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You Should be fine with that time frame BUT why?

Battery powered air pumps can be had for less than 20 bucks, and in my opinion should be a staple backup life supporting device on hand for every house with an aquarium.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve moved quite a few fish in 5 gallon buckets over the years and personally never used bubblers. Most of the trips were no more than about 2 hours in buckets but I’ve pushed up to about 4. Just make sure you aren’t “over stocking” the buckets :)

OP
OP
mooputingtong

mooputingtong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You Should be fine with that time frame BUT why?

Battery powered air pumps can be had for less than 20 bucks, and in my opinion should be a staple backup life supporting device on hand for every house with an aquarium.
I couldnt find any portable air bubblers near my LFS and even with amazon prime it arrives pretty late.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use 2 buckets and get the bubbler. You cant fill the bucket completely and sometimes unexpected things happen.

OP
OP
mooputingtong

mooputingtong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve moved quite a few fish in 5 gallon buckets over the years and personally never used bubblers. Most of the trips were no more than about 2 hours in buckets but I’ve pushed up to about 4. Just make sure you aren’t “over stocking” the buckets :)
Ah i have 5 small fish and some few snails. The whole trip will take less than an hour. So i think it should be ok then. Thanks
I couldnt find any portable air bubblers near my LFS and even with amazon prime it arrives pretty late.

I would use 2 buckets and get the bubbler. You cant fill the bucket completely and sometimes unexpected things happen.
My LFS didnt any any bubbler and even amazon prime delivery is coming after the day i move out. I have no choice.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usually you can find the battery aerators at boating supply stores (west marine as example)as they use them to keep bait alive...but for as far as you're going i wouldnt be concerned...there were no aerators involved when they went from the wholesaler to the LFS....splurge, buy another bucket...

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a large plastic cup. Spending a minute dipping it into the water and pouring it back in will aerate the water.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put the bio filter media in the same bucket with the fish. The biofilter just needs to stay wet. Put it in a bag but don't make the fish compete for O2, they will lose.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back