Will my acan make it?

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up an acan frag yesterday. It didn’t look like it was doing all that well but I got it for cheap so I decided to give it a shot. Half of it is still definitely alive. It is colorful and I saw its feeder tentacles out yesterday after putting it in the tank. The other half however looked like it was dying. I figured I’d feed it and get it back to being healthy but over night my hermits ate the dead polyp on one side. Now the skeleton is showing on that side. I haven’t seen the feeder tentacles at all today. Any advice? Is this a loosing battle or could I potentially nurse it back to health?

OP
OP
The_Skrimp

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a frag rack. This frag and a small frag of zoanthids are my first two corals. But I’m diligently keeping everything away from them as best as I can for now. It doesn’t look like they’re going after it anymore. They just are the dead tissue. I’ll try to get a good picture if I can.

OP
OP
The_Skrimp

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second photo shows where they are the dead tissue down to the skeleton.

C0BEAEFD-EA1B-4DBD-A4E2-85FC94A84007.jpeg A0E8EBFB-EA3F-4695-A422-08F363D44873.jpeg

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had just about the same thing happen to one of my acans. A conch landed on it and killed some tissue(conch kinda jump to move). Well that night the amphipods ate the dead tissue as well as the live tissue around the dead tissue causing more live tissue to die and the next night they did it again. At that point I put the acan up on a frag rake to keep the amphipods away(and feed it like normal). It healed up and is now the biggest acan colony I have. And acans being acans it's gone from red and white to orange and green to now being a solid blood red in color.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 55 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 67 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 57 30.3%
Back