Will my custom made Rimless 70 gallon tank break? (Glass isnt that thick)

asjustin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a custom made 70 gallon fish tank built 2 years ago by a tank maker in Australia and only put water in it now, I've heard online that rimless tanks have a higher chance of breaking so thats why they are made with thicker glass to account for it being rimless etc.. but the glass on my rimless 5ft 70g looks kinda thin and is put together with black silcone, Im worried one day it will break also its only been filled up for 3 weeks so far with half the voulme of water inside, can having half the water the tank can put extra stress on the glass out in some way? the reason im doing this is to use less saltwater during the cycle so i waste less since i will have to empty out a good % of it out anyways

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems there are a couple things you can do. You could verify the thickness of your tank glass by contacting several manufacturers of tanks with the dimensions of your tank. You could also just add a middle cross support 4"-6" wide.

On a side note I always keep the original water setting up a reef system and don't see a need to dispose of it and refill with new saltwater.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need dimensions and glass thickness. It should most likely be 1/2” but potentially 3/8” depending on height

colossal_tater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those dimensions are for a safety factor of 1. https://www.easycalculation.com/measurement/aquarium-glass-thickness-calculator.php

My understanding is that means the glass is just barely at the specs to not break when you fill it up. But that’s scary to be riding the line so close, especially on a rimless. Further more, the safety factor has nothing to do with whether the silicon will hold. With glass so thin, the silicone might not hold the glass together since there is less surface area to bond the glass pieces.

As an example, the 16” tall rimless that was made for me has 1/2” thick glass and has a safety factor of 12. That’s almost laughable in comparison to how they did you. Long story short, I certainly wouldn’t fill with water.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does seem very thin for a 5 foot tank. Assuming your tank builder is reputable I would contact them and ask the question and possibly having them install some bracing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back