Will my system be overcrowded with this stocking list?

Will my tank be overcrowded?

• Understocked

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Somewhat / Slightly Overcrowded

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Overcrowded

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Very Overcrowded

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Just About Right

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know an overcrowded tank leads to more stress, poorer water quality (especially if it’s newer), disease, aggression and so on. With my current stocking list, will my tank be overcrowded? Are there any fish that I should remove? I only intend to have fish that I can keep for the duration of their lifespans in my tank. Coral wise it will be 50/50 softies and LPS Mixed Reef.

Tank is a custom 183 gallons, 6 foot (1.8m) by 2.3 foot (0.7m) by 1.8 foot (0.55m).

My stocking list is as follows:

x1 Yellow Watchman Goby + Pistol Shrimp combo

x6 Pajama Cardinalfish

x2 Heniochus Bannerfish

x1 One Spot Foxface

x1 Marine Betta

x2 Ocellaris Clownfish (Captive Bred)

x1 Royal Gramma

x1 Flame Hawkfish

x1 Long Nose Hawkfish

x1 Flame Angelfish

x1 Yellow Tang

x1 Tomini Tang (recent addition)

x1 Twinspot Hogfish

x4 YT Blue Damsels (recent addition)

Thanks.

Skimmer is a Bubble King Eco Max 250, good for tanks up to 400 gallons.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 6-foot tank heavily stocked, and ended up ‘thinning out the heard’ over time. I’m happier now, and so are the fish. Maybe the six (6) Pajama Cardinals and Foxface could go, for example?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not the aggression Royal gramma is reclusive with lots of movement in my experience had 3 of them when little bioload out and about with more fish hide in the rockwork much more.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preliminary “axed” list. I’ve decided to remove some of the comparatively less hardy fish for a start, along with the Royal Gramma:

-Royal Gramma (remove)

-Flame Angelfish (comparatively iffy in hardiness)

-Tomini Tang (not as easy to feed compared to the Yellow)

-Removed 2/6 Pajama Cardinals, not sure if 4 would be better.

So far, 5 fish gone.

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest removing the Tomini (since you have the Yellow), but I didn’t want to risk breaking your heart. (Lol.) (Plus, if the tank were shorter I was going to suggest not having both the Flame and the Longnose together, since they occupy the same sphere and feed in the same way, but you thinned the herd there as well on your own.) Best wishes!

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would 2 Bannerfish be able to live their entire lives in a 6-foot tank? I know they can get up to like 10 inches.

Currently am left with:

Small fish-
x1 YWG + Pistol shrimp combo

x4 Pajama Cardinals

x1 Flame / Long Nose Hawkfish

x1 Twinspot Hogfish

x2 Ocellaris Clowns

x4 YT Blue Damsels

Large fish-

x1 Marine Betta

x1 Yellow Tang

x1 One Spot Foxface

x2 Heniochus Bannerfish

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heniochus don’t get as big as Singularis. Two full grown Singularis with those other fish would be a little overpowering.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think 10” would be a figure for in the wild, under ideal conditions with natural nutrition. In a home aquarium, maybe a 7” long body.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. That would place them at around 18cm then. That’s more manageable. Update: Also decided to remove the Damsels, as I know they’ll be a pain to catch if I have to move in the next few years lol.

I really can’t keep two Hawkfish in a 6-foot tank? The tank’s still too small?

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for clearing that up.

As of today, down to 15 fish, 9 removed:

x1 Yellow Watchman Goby + Pistol Shrimp

x4 Pajama Cardinals

x2 Heniochus Bannerfish (Black and White)

x1 One Spot Foxface

x1 Marine Betta

x2 Ocellaris Clowns (Captive Bred)

x1 Flame Hawk

x1 Longnose Hawk

x1 Yellow Tang

x1 Twinspot Hogfish

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, today’s a sad day for me. After determining the behavior of the rest of my stocking list, I have unfortunately decided to axe my Marine Betta too. It’s always been a must-have fish for me, but considering that it will have all active tank mates among the other larger fish, I am afraid it won’t thrive and be too reclusive in my tank. This leaves me with 14 fish and I might add back the two PJ Cardinals for a total of 3 pairs.

I have always hoped to find a specimen that’s already eating frozen or even flakes and pellets at my LFS, but it’s a gamble and my LFS does not get them in more than 1-2, maybe 3 at a time. It’s a gamble. If I need any live foods to initiate a feeding response, my LFS does not really provide them so I’ll be absolutely helpless.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will have their areas, I know nothing about bannerfish or hogfish but the Hawkfish will inhabitant the rock mostly but sometimes perches on powerheads heaters etc, the YWG and Shrimp will be in the substrate, PJ cardinals will be in the water, Yellow tang will be in the water coloumn and rocks, ocellaris clownfish usually host something but IME, if it isn't something like a anemone or coral, it will just sleep and run to that hosting spot, foxface same as yellow tang, I think your list now is just perfect, you could maybe add a firefish or to.

SofishticatedREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, today’s a sad day for me. After determining the behavior of the rest of my stocking list, I have unfortunately decided to axe my Marine Betta too. It’s always been a must-have fish for me, but considering that it will have all active tank mates among the other larger fish, I am afraid it won’t thrive and be too reclusive in my tank. This leaves me with 14 fish and I might add back the two PJ Cardinals for a total of 3 pairs.

I have always hoped to find a specimen that’s already eating frozen or even flakes and pellets at my LFS, but it’s a gamble and my LFS does not get them in more than 1-2, maybe 3 at a time. It’s a gamble. If I need any live foods to initiate a feeding response, my LFS does not really provide them so I’ll be absolutely helpless.
I had marine betta roughly two years all tho shy n some what slower moving they can hold their own an fend for them selves mine would corner a 4 inch purple tang an give it hell once established they have such a personality

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back