Will pencil urchin eat gsp or toadstool coral

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about getting gsp and toadstool leather. I have a pincushion urchin and a pencil urchin. I want to get gsp and toadstool letaher coral will the urchins eat these. I am able to move the pencil urchin into another tank possibly.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes pencil urchins eat everything lol , they most likely wont go after it but if there’s algae on GSP or it’s weakened the urchin will eat it. I had one that ate two perfectly healthy feather duster worms tho

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes pencil urchins eat everything lol , they most likely wont go after it but if there’s algae on GSP or it’s weakened the urchin will eat it. I had one that ate two perfectly healthy feather duster worms tho
I have a 10 gallon with a clown in it, would it be adviseable to move him into that or is that too small. Hes a pretty tiny urchin.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think I would add GSP. Unless you have a rock that is minimum 4 or 5" away from everything else.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think I would add GSP. Unless you have a rock that is minimum 4 or 5" away from everything else.
Yeah ive heard that they spread as fast as hepatitis, but i think id be sick to have it take over most of my rocks then have an island for the toadstool.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP it is a good early filler and colorful, but be sure - as above - keep it away from your main scape

that said, I have it on my back wall of a 15G peninsula and it is not a problem - tends not to grow down, mostly up and looks nice

And a pencil urchin will clean rock down to white, and if you don't have algae and or Coraline, it will likely go dormant

I have 2 in a larger tank and never seen them near corals, but there is a blanket of Coraline

I get the sense they have a much lower metabolism than other urchins

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP it is a good early filler and colorful, but be sure - as above - keep it away from your main scape

that said, I have it on my back wall of a 15G peninsula and it is not a problem - tends not to grow down, mostly up and looks nice

And a pencil urchin will clean rock down to white, and if you don't have algae and or Coraline, it will likely go dormant

I have 2 in a larger tank and never seen them near corals, but there is a blanket of Coraline

I get the sense they have a much lower metabolism than other urchins
Sounds good man, just to make sure, i have a pincushion urchin about the size of a baseball, i feed him nori but would he hurt coral at all.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back