Will Progress be lost if I switch tanks?

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my tank up about 6 months and I recently bout a waterbox20. I’ve just started getting the lime green green algae that comes after diatoms and I’d hate to lose 6 months of progress. Does tank maturity transfer with the rocks or the tank?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part, yes. If you setup the new tank, and just move your rocks and sand over to the new tank, you shouldn’t have to cycle again. Keep all of the rocks and sand wet (submerged preferably, and at the same temp), and try to get them in the new tank as quickly as possible. I would probably add some bottled bacteria just to be on the safe side (though it’s most likely not needed), but you should be fine. You might find that the ‘ugly’ stages reset a little bit, but as far as nitrification, you will be fine.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you transfer your rock no cycle is needed and you don't lose progress. May want to switch sand or at least rinse it. Research before making a decision. No bacteria or other chemicals needed.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a tank transfer , same rocks , new sand and new water, I had another ugly phase that lasted about 2 weeks , I had to scrape all my coraline / the glass so it was free real estate lol but no cycle of any kind , took awhile to even show nitrates (got Dino’s ) but it went away in a week

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did a transfer not too long ago. No new cycle whatsoever, except for a bunch of algae. My tank went from clean to covered in diatoms to covered in a green film algae to partially covered in gha to "clean" in less than 2 weeks.

Just let it do its thing and you'll be fine.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a 20 gallon tank with a large live rock a year ago with 5 BTAs attached. The nems were added the day of setup. The nems are still alive and well a year later, so the way I see it, putting that big live rock in there with them was as good as having an established tank.

OP
OP
greetl01

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’m relieved to hear that. My tank has taken longer than usual to mature and I was excited to be close to getting coralline.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back