Will reactors underneath the tank cause a siphon in a power outage?

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumb question. I am planning to have a pump in the sump of my AIO and then a reactor underneath the tank. It'll have a return nozzle above the water level. In the event of a power outage, I don't have to worry about a siphon, correct? I do have valves to prevent water from spilling out when I open the reactor.

edit:
this is what I am emulating

the pump will be in my sump and the reactor underneath the tank. I will use vinyl tubing and barbs.

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the reactor is higher then the pump, it will be fine.

In the event pf a power outage, depending on sump setup, the water level should be even across all chambers. No siphon would start.

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In the event pf a power outage, depending on sump setup, the water level should be even across all chambers. No siphon would start.
the reactor would be below the pump. Looks like I have to fix that then. thank you!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if it’s an AIO then the pump is in the back and the return is in the same tank so even if it did siphon all of the water is contained in the tank and it wouldn’t matter

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it this way, if the reactor is a sealed chamber than it is functionally no different than having a piece of tubing going under the tank and then back up to the tank, if that makes sense.

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this is the type of set up I am emulating

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it this way, if the reactor is a sealed chamber than it is functionally no different than having a piece of tubing going under the tank and then back up to the tank, if that makes sense.
got it. output is definitely higher than input. I orignally assumed I was all set but wanted to make sure I wasn't emulating a system that would have caused a disaster. Thank you!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the type of set up I am emulating

The only way it could siphon would be if there was a leak on the reactor, then you would have a leak from the pumped water too.

It’s good of you to even consider what can start a siphon many hobbyists don’t and find out the hard way. When I first setup my ATO I started one and emptied my reservoir. Now anytime I do any plumbing I take it into consideration.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back