Will the AI Prime 16HD over a 32 gallon keep a magnifica anemone happy?

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the AI Prime 16HD over a 32 gallon keep a magnifica anemone happy and perky? The website says this specific light works well on a tank that's less than 24 x 24 x 24. This light gets great reviews and I'm wondering if it's sufficient for a magnifica.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lowered numbered ones are going to be less output except the ap9x which is new and can spread wider than the 360 series. The new 500s are supposed to be even more powerful, geared towards sps tanks.

Upvote 0

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh, I went from Kessil to AI and I prefer the AI. I had the A360WEs, but I didn't have the controller. I did everything through the apex. The AI is much simpler to use, and has a smaller profile.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh, I went from Kessil to AI and I prefer the AI. I had the A360WEs, but I didn't have the controller. I did everything through the apex. The AI is much simpler to use, and has a smaller profile.
Controller makes all the difference. WiFi isn't needed. Being able to set a schedule with intensity is all that's needed.

Upvote 0

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controller makes all the difference. WiFi isn't needed. Being able to set a schedule with intensity is all that's needed.
Yeah I agree, but why spend even MORE on that light to do simple things that the AI can do for half the price? The arm is 100, the controller last I checked was another hundred, the light is 350+ depending on where you go. My prime 16HD and the mount was 300 brand new. I also see no noticeable difference in coral growth, and the "shimmer" got annoying.

I'm not against kessil by any means, just stating that I personally prefer the AI.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree, but why spend even MORE on that light to do simple things that the AI can do for half the price? The arm is 100, the controller last I checked was another hundred, the light is 350+ depending on where you go. My prime 16HD and the mount was 300 brand new. I also see no noticeable difference in coral growth, and the "shimmer" got annoying.

I'm not against kessil by any means, just stating that I personally prefer the AI.
The shimmer and coloring of the lights are the best part. I don't like the idea of being able to play with every individual color either. People smarter than me have already created the optimum settings. I've seen a few lights and I don't like how others aren't blended as well. Not a fan of the disco ball effect.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None, I went to look at the one you specified and saw several other kessil models and wondered why you chose the a360.
I've had mine for a couple years now. At the time the ap9x and 500 weren't an option.

Upvote 0

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made you change?
The shimmer, fan noise, and I wanted to try something different. It wasn't loud, but it was definitely louder than what I have now. They were also pretty thick compared to the primes.

Not to mention how expensive it all is. With AI, they pair up with other AI products, (like the powerheads), and it's controllable on your phone which is easily accessible. I can also find plenty of people that have come up with amazing spectrums and schedules, and load those settings onto your lights and powerheads in seconds.
My dollar stretched way further with AquaIllumination.

Upvote 0

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think the hydra 32 would be overkill for a 32g tank?
I run the equivalent over my 10 gallon, the only negative thing I can say is the shadowing is pretty harsh with a single 16 hd, but this is the case with almost any single point light.

Attachments

• 20210517_144955.jpg
    20210517_144955.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the equivalent over my 10 gallon, the only negative thing I can say is the shadowing is pretty harsh with a single 16 hd, but this is the case with almost any single point light.
Thoughts on the hydra 32 for a 32g biocube? All I know is it’s cheaper than buying 2 prime 16s.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Prime 16 over a 20g cube. It is an excellent light with plenty of power to grow anything, including sps ( I have not tried Acropora )
Placed 10" above waterline.
It should work just as well for your 32 imo.
Check out the BRS investigates where they do a thorough test of the prime and I think that'll make up your mind
How well does the prime clamp fit over the plastic section of your aquarium? I’ve been concerned it may not fit well over the weirdly shaped Biocube tank rim molding.

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back