Will the Apex ever go on sale?

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to purchase an Apex Controller but $700.oo is full boat.

At the Orlando RAP a few weeks ago they were selling for $710.00 which is a far cry better and a bit easier on my budget.

I am not interested in a used unit so if anyone knows of a sale (which seem to be few and far between) please PM me or post where to purchase one here.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t call it old tech at all. I just bought the new model last week I didn’t find any change to really speak of speak of other than the ability to do upgrade firmware over WiFi and a few over little things.
the Apex.local looks more like APEX fusion now but that’s about it. The modules went to the new colors on the outside but if you bought a module and it has the new color it still works with the classic. the New DOS works with the Classic just fine. I know. I upgraded only because I’m a geek
Been a geek for thirty years with computers and now with my APEX.
Now if you plan on using the Trident system which hasn’t come out yet ( and now really announced released dated yet. Then yes you will need the new controller
But the old old works just fine with everything else

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t call it old tech at all. I just bought the new model last week I didn’t find any change to really speak of speak of other than the ability to do upgrade firmware over WiFi and a few over little things.
the Apex.local looks more like APEX fusion now but that’s about it. The modules went to the new colors on the outside but if you bought a module and it has the new color it still works with the classic. the New DOS works with the Classic just fine. I know. I upgraded only because I’m a geek
Been a geek for thirty years with computers and now with my APEX.
Now if you plan on using the Trident system which hasn’t come out yet ( and now really announced released dated yet. Then yes you will need the new controller
But the old old works just fine with everything else

Thank you for the reply,

I really do not need to connect the base unit via wifi as my tank is within 8' of my router. After that can I connect to the classic via wifi through my router?

What about up-dating the control head? Will I need to preform this task manually or will the classic handle that automatically?

Additionally I really need the 4 probes and the 8 sockets vs the classic's 2 and 4.

Money wide the Apex seems to be a better bang for the buck, espically if I can get it on sale somewhere.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply,

I really do not need to connect the base unit via wifi as my tank is within 8' of my router. After that can I connect to the classic via wifi through my router?

What about up-dating the control head? Will I need to preform this task manually or will the classic handle that automatically?

Additionally I really need the 4 probes and the 8 sockets vs the classic's 2 and 4.

Money wide the Apex seems to be a better bang for the buck, espically if I can get it on sale somewhere.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had/have connected by wire to my router as my router is within 8 feet also. As a former network admin I depend on wire more so. But you will need a extender to connect the classic if you want to go wireless with it.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply,

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to manually update the classic firmware and you need to buy a additional module to get all probes that you want.
The classic does come with a EB 8

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had/have connected by wire to my router as my router is within 8 feet also. As a former network admin I depend on wire more so. But you will need a extender to connect the classic if you want to go wireless with it.

Honestly it seems more trouble considering I need the extra 2 probes and 8 power sockets.

Adding the costs up, purchasing the 2016 Apex is a better deal, especially if it can be had at a discount.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW. I bought a used classic with temp and pH probes and two eb8 outlets, display controller and all wires to run everything for $300. Got a deal from a friend, otherwise going rate for all this is still $400 or less.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW. I bought a used classic with temp and pH probes and two eb8 outlets, display controller and all wires to run everything for $300. Got a deal from a friend, otherwise going rate for all this is still $400 or less.

Nice. But I do not purchase anything used and the vast majority of my friends are no longer with the living. The price one pays for serving 35 years in 7 different armed conflicts.

Del’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said WiFi isn’t a key point.....but if it ever was, just get a bridge. Solves that real quick.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you can buy the 2016 controller and EB832 separate now and buy probes separately whether it will be cheaper or not I don’t know. I guess search eBay and see

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you can buy the 2016 controller and EB832 separate now and buy probes separately whether it will be cheaper or not I don’t know. I guess search eBay and see

I was informed by BRS, Marine Depot and Premium Aquatics that Neptune tells them when and how much these retailers are allowed to sell their products for and that sales are strictly controlled by the manufacturer.

This sounds very much like price fixing which is illegal.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was informed by BRS, Marine Depot and Premium Aquatics that Neptune tells them when and how much these retailers are allowed to sell their products for and that sales are strictly controlled by the manufacturer.

This sounds very much like price fixing which is illegal.

Technically they can sell it for less, just not advertise it for less. See if your LFS can order one for you. I remember doing a group buy on vortechs for a considerable discount, and they have a similar pricing structure.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be worth asking or checking if they sell for less during the group buy through R2R here. Or if they go on sale for black friday. Last weekend everything on BRS website was 10% off, it's possible they discount those as well. Never looked into it so I don't have a definitive answer for you.
And you're correct about the pricing, they don't go on sale but there may be deals to be had as mentioned above. Good luck I hope you do find one for less.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back