Will the Apex ever go on sale?

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
apex controller is not a necessity and neptune is not forcing anyone to buy it.
just weigh if time or money is more important.

maybe you can get a military discount if you think you are entitled to it.

60CubeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's simple MAP policies (Minimum Advertised Price). You'll see it on all the high end equipment in the hobby. However, this simply means that retailers cannot advertise below MAP, however, there is nothing stopping them for selling it to you for whatever they want. You'll need to find a retailer who will play ball with you and offer you a discount--typically that would be a LFS. Also try reaching out to store owners who would be willing to ship.

dimo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MAP pricing is a normal thing across many industries, not just the aquarium hobby. Manufactures do it to protect the brand value of their products. They don't want vendors to potentially sell it at a loss to steal business and undercut their competitors, all the while hurting the manufacturer by devaluing the perceived value in the eyes of the customer.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tiger-Paws, here is Neptune's page with their MAP agreement. It's marked for copyright and not to distribute, so I didn't post the text here. I did save a Word file. I'd suggest looking into it and determining whether or not you wish to pursue methods of legal recourse.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
apex controller is not a necessity and neptune is not forcing anyone to buy it.
just weigh if time or money is more important.

maybe you can get a military discount if you think you are entitled to it.

The only things any person is entitled to is Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Service to ones country is a Honor and a Privilege which is and should be and is thanks enough.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MAP pricing is a normal thing across many industries, not just the aquarium hobby. Manufactures do it to protect the brand value of their products. They don't want vendors to potentially sell it at a loss to steal business and undercut their competitors, all the while hurting the manufacturer by devaluing the perceived value in the eyes of the customer.

Agreed but simply because it is done across many industries does not make it right or legal unless it is challenged.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leegin Creative Leather Products, Inc. v. PSKS, Inc.

Court case i referenced in my previous post if wish to look up the actual legal text.

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see if all this is worth it... Apex 2016 Controller system ($799.95). Dallas, Texas sales tax (8.25%). Bulk Reef Supply (No sales tax collected & free postage). $799.95 - 8.25% tax = $65.995 (think SALE!). Price of Apex 2016 System = $733.995 Still $799.95 but a different way to look at it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see if all this is worth it... Apex 2016 Controller system ($799.95). Dallas, Texas sales tax (8.25%). Bulk Reef Supply (No sales tax collected & free postage). $799.95 - 8.25% tax = $65.995 (think SALE!). Price of Apex 2016 System = $733.995

LoL! Nice try. But what if the nearest LFS is over 45 minutes away and you have not been there in over a year and you (I) choose not to patronize them?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Agreed but simply because it is done across many industries does not make it right or legal unless it is challenged.
Actually, something done across multiple industries has usually already been challenged (as in the case of MAP agreements) and has been determined to be legal. You're welcome to try (again, just as others have), but the end result will be the same. It is legal to have a "minimum advertised price" agreement.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Btw, just because there's a MAP in place doesn't mean a vendor can't sell it for under MAP. They just can't advertise it lower than that. So this can't be considered price fixing. Not the same thing.

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus with BRS you earn 799 reward points also.
I just got off of the telephone with the local U.S. Attorny's office and I have made an appoitment in order to file a complaint in person.
You will waste more in gas, ware & tear on your car and time. Just admit defeat, relax and buy the Apex... might save you high blood pressure medical bills down the road.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, just because there's a MAP in place doesn't mean a vendor can't sell it for under MAP. They just can't advertise it lower than that. So this can't be considered price fixing. Not the same thing.
You never know anything unless you try.

Failure is an option on the road to success, no one ever learned anything from success, only by failing, learning why you failed and trying again will you ever succeed.

I am in a fight with a White (pinkish) slime bacteria right now, I never thought I would learn so much about microscopic organisms. But I have and I am still learning from many on this forum (thank you all who have made suggestions) and from experts in the field.

Succeed or fail with the U.S. Attorny's office I will file the complaint next week and we will see what happens.

If nothing else Neptune may get a little pressure to change their committiment to MAP.

Last edited:

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MAP seems like gouging and takes consumer power out of the equation. If Apex or any other MAP using company (and there are several in this industry) gets their wholesale price, then why the heck do they need to tell BRS or any other vendor what they can sell for? Super frustrating in an already expensive hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back