Will the Apex ever go on sale?

Starblenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're patient, Neptune allows all vendors to put the Apex on sale during Black Friday. It's typically 10-15% off, which ain't too shabby.

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing at all illegal about setting minimum pricing. The manufacturer sets the MSRP, the retailer makes a tidy profit and if they are found to be retailing those items under MSRP the manufacturer usually retains the right to not do business with the retailer anymore. BF Goodrich and Goodyear have done this for decades. Many have challenged this marketing/sales philosophy and all challengers have been defeated. Either pay what Neptune wants for the Apex or spend your money on a different controller. Your most powerful voice comes from where you choose to spend your dollar.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antitrust issues may arise if a manufacturer agrees with competing manufacturers to impose price or non-price restraints up or down the supply chain (that is, in dealings with suppliers or dealers), or if suppliers or dealers act together to induce a manufacturer to implement such restraints. Again, the critical distinction is between a unilateral decision to impose a restraint (lawful) and a collective agreement among competitors to do the same (unlawful).

Yea, it's not really price fixing because they are not working with other companies to set the price of similar products. A company has the right to sell their products at a price that they see is fair. If you don't like it, don't buy it. The Supreme Court has ruled on this, there is no where to go from the supreme Court

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. But I do not purchase anything used and the vast majority of my friends are no longer with the living. The price one pays for serving 35 years in 7 different armed conflicts.
By the way I did not see this post of yours. Thank you for you service. I myself served 26 years as well

Operation Philo Beddoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much like Apple, Neptune controls the price of their product. When it goes on sale I have never seen it below $710. You can get it from the big names for that between November and end of December. Just keep your eyes open for the Black Friday and early BF sales.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t call it old tech at all. I just bought the new model last week I didn’t find any change to really speak of speak of other than the ability to do upgrade firmware over WiFi and a few over little things.
the Apex.local looks more like APEX fusion now but that’s about it. The modules went to the new colors on the outside but if you bought a module and it has the new color it still works with the classic. the New DOS works with the Classic just fine. I know. I upgraded only because I’m a geek
Been a geek for thirty years with computers and now with my APEX.
Now if you plan on using the Trident system which hasn’t come out yet ( and now really announced released dated yet. Then yes you will need the new controller
But the old old works just fine with everything else

I have a feeling that they will be adding more and more future products that will only work with the new Apex. The Trident is just easing into it

Generally, if you're buying a piece of expensive electronics, you want to future proof as much as possible, or at least buy the most current model.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 5 pages I really think this discussion is dead. Everyone has said their peace
I personally think ypthe Classic will be around for another two or three years at a minimum

Peace everyone

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Friday is the only time I have bought less than retail.

Find a retailer that gives reward points to sweeten it just a fuzz more.

I have had my apex 2016 for a year now, you will love it

Thank you for your service!

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to buy the main base unit (the controller) for $349 and find a used power bar or Apex classic power bar or accessories to work with the new base unit? That way you can buy a new base unit, which is the thing you want new, and an older classic energy bar, new or used?

That way you get the total functionality and can add only what you need.

BTW, that deal on BRS for 10% off didn't apply to a lot of brands, Neptune among them, so you didn't miss anything. There was a whole list of brands in the email that weren't part of the sale.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Friday is the only time I have bought less than retail.

Find a retailer that gives reward points to sweeten it just a fuzz more.

I have had my apex 2016 for a year now, you will love it

Thank you for your service!
If your talking to me Thank you

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said above I am not interested in the "Classic", my issue is that it appears the Neptune is price fixing and I have looked into purchasing all of the componits seperatly and there is no real difference in price so therefor no savings.

Saving up money is not the issue, price fixing is illegal and MAP pricing is borderline illegal.

Maybe a well written complaint to the U.S. Attorney's office is necessary.

According to that link you supplied, they could be using a Colgate policy infused with the MAP. It would be difficult to tell without seeing the agreement in place.

But for what it's worth, most of the aquarium industry operates on price fixing imo. You also know their crafty lawyers drafted up something with loopholes and then the backroom deals. Like it says, a luxury product doesn't want to appear like it's not a luxury brand by lowered pricing.

Personally, I think the high asking prices are absurd just based on the fact that the more hands you get an item into, the more sales you will make and the more you will make in accessories sold. Just how a game console is sold at cost, or sometimes at a loss, but will make way more money on the games and accessories sold for that console.

The majority of average people think things are price fixed or over charged for, but the common response is to pick a cheaper hobby instead of doing anything about it. Whether you have the money or not to spend on a luxury item does not make it ok for them to price fix.

This topic actually falls in line with the thread I posted the other day about why prices never drop (devalue) as time goes on, years. This isn't just Neptune doing this, it's most of the industry holding hands. It would be an uphill battle that the AG's office probably wouldn't pursue because this isn't a mainstream area that affects the majority of the population. But it couldn't hurt to notify them. Maybe it'll actually do something because everyone seems content on being walked all over by these places and being ok with it.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One ‘good’ thing about MAP pricing is that you can be sure it’s not going to go on sale next week for less. It also puts the small guys on equal footing with the big box stores. Toro does the same thing with their lawnmowers and snow blowers so I went to my local hardware store. I like to support them I knew I wouldn’t find it any cheaper at the BORG.

Of course that doesn’t help if you’re trying to save money, and I get your frustration. As others have said, the only time I’ve seen it discounted was at Black Friday and once at my LFS when they had a special event with a Neptune rep at the store.

I don’t think you’re likely to have much luck with the AG, but if you have the time to meet with them, you’re only out the time and gas, so it can’t hurt, and who knows?

ReefInskeep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate the absurdly high prices, because I don’t have much expendable income. When I think about the actual technology behind them, it really is nuts. They have a relative monopoly on quality controllers.

I’ve kept up hope that some skilled reefer will develop a raspberry pi based controller with full functionality comparable to an Apex.

But, I do like the principle of leveling the playing field for LFS’s with MAP’s. I know that’s why most of us order from places like BRS or Amazon, lower prices & wider selection. I just wish that the manufacturer lowered the prices to reasonable levels.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is if you don’t like it, don’t buy it. Neptune is able to fix the price because there is little to no competition. I wish there were more companies like them but sadly that’s not the case.

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is an old saying for this thread and the OP.

“Beggars can’t be choosers”

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back