Will these dimming knobs work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Erasmus Crowley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a 36" dx18 fixture, but I don't currently have a controller. I'd like to dim the T5's so I was looking for something cheap to get me that result until I'm ready to pull the trigger on something like an Apex or a GHL controller. I found these things on Amazon, and I was considering getting two of them (one for each channel), and hooking them up to the controller wires and then attaching them to the top of the fixture.

It seems to me like they would work, but I'm a software dev and definitely not an electrical engineer. I really don't want to do something silly and catch my brand new fixture on fire. Can anyone with more knowledge than me tell me if I'm flirting with disaster or not?

Thanks in advance!

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Let me order one and do some testing. I ordered it today. Should have it by Thursday.

What I don't know is if the power output is coming from the HEP ballast.

Thank you for bringing this part to our attention.

OP
OP
E

Erasmus Crowley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me order one and do some testing. I ordered it today. Should have it by Thursday.

What I don't know is if the power output is coming from the HEP ballast.

Thank you for bringing this part to our attention.

Thanks for doing that!

I didn't know if anyone was going to respond to this thread so I already ordered a pair of them for myself. Mine should also be arriving on Thursday. I decided it was inexpensive enough that I didn't mind losing out on the money if they didn't work. I was just going to dive in, wire them up, and see what happened.

Now that I know that you've got some ordered as well, I think I'll let you take the risks and wire them up first before I try it myself. :D

I really appreciate the effort, and I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Will do. I appreciate you sending me the link. I have been looking for something like this for sometime now.

Will let you know.

OP
OP
E

Erasmus Crowley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my dimmers a day early, and I just couldn't resist seeing if it would work.

Good news, they do! I spliced them into a cable that I cut off of an old pair of headphones and I now have dimming knobs!

20201028_145223.jpg

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
NICE!!!! Mine just arrived today. I was going to work on that later today. Now I need to see if I can get a dual wire connection together.

THANK YOU.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my dimmers a day early, and I just couldn't resist seeing if it would work.

Good news, they do! I spliced them into a cable that I cut off of an old pair of headphones and I now have dimming knobs!

20201028_145223.jpg

I own a ton of those knobs from my DIY LED days 8-9 years ago. Looks like your running the same light setup I am on my 45 shallow.

Back