Will this be toxic to my water? Using a razor to scale alage

chad8282

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have non used razor blades for utility knifes for construction and they come lubed and oily what can I do to strip that oil. Would rubbing alc work then wash and it won’t be toxic for fish? On a budget and refusing to spend the money on a legit scraper

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't get a scraper you could always clean off an old credit card and use that. You wouldn't have to worry about residue and it won't risk scratching the glass. I've scratched tanks in the past with standard razors.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have non used razor blades for utility knifes for construction and they come lubed and oily what can I do to strip that oil. Would rubbing alc work then wash and it won’t be toxic for fish? On a budget and refusing to spend the money on a legit scraper

Why not skip the worry and use an out of date debit/credit/healthcare card's plastic edge? My sump is acrylic and that's what I use there, and I recently had coralline in corner edge of glass tank near silicone seams so I used it there too - worked great on glass and gave me a lot of control - you save the cost of rubbing alcohol, too so extra cheap to use edge of plastic card

IF ever you do get an aquarium scraper - the neutrally buoyant Seachem is SO worth it... seemed gimicky when I bought it but got it anyhow... wouldn't think I'd drop it as much as I do when cleaning, but instead of falling and bashing coral, fish or something ... it FLOATS! Worth the cost. LOVE it

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not skip the worry and use an out of date debit/credit/healthcare card's plastic edge? My sump is acrylic and that's what I use there, and I recently had coralline in corner edge of glass tank near silicone seams so I used it there too - worked great on glass and gave me a lot of control - you save the cost of rubbing alcohol, too so extra cheap to use edge of plastic card

IF ever you do get an aquarium scraper - the neutrally buoyant Seachem is SO worth it... seemed gimicky when I bought it but got it anyhow... wouldn't think I'd drop it as much as I do when cleaning, but instead of falling and bashing coral, fish or something ... it FLOATS! Worth the cost. LOVE it
Great minds think alike ;)

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the exact blade to remove coralline from the top edges of my system.
I just clean it with rubbing alcohol and its good to go.
Been using one for many years to get into hard to reach places with no issues.
Just clean it with alcohol when done and your good to go.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used regular razor blades before and I just cleaned them with regular kitchen detergent and then rinsed them really really well.

The guy could've lost his job recently.
That doesn't change the fact that the hobby is expensive and if the OPs budget doesn't allow a scraper then how can they afford all of the other things that are needed to properly maintain a tank.

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used regular razor blades before and I just cleaned them with regular kitchen detergent and then rinsed them really really well.

That doesn't change the fact that the hobby is expensive and if the OPs budget doesn't allow a scraper then how can they afford all of the other things that are needed to properly maintain a tank.
Maybe he's just trying to save some money.

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I make.... enough.... to cover this hobby. But I still cut corners where I can and use the cheaper option if available.... including "borrowing" supplies from work if I think they'll do good for my tanks. Doesn't mean I "can't"afford it, just means I'd rather not pay $50 for a fancy scraper. I'd rather use an old credit card and spend $50 on a new coral

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make.... enough.... to cover this hobby. But I still cut corners where I can and use the cheaper option if available.... including "borrowing" supplies from work if I think they'll do good for my tanks. Doesn't mean I "can't"afford it, just means I'd rather not pay $50 for a fancy scraper. I'd rather use an old credit card and spend $50 on a new coral
I get that, and I usually go with fairly cheap equipment even though I can afford better. But you can buy an algea scraper for $6, if a person's budget for an aquarium doesn't allow for a $6 purchase then what happens when they need to buy medicine, more salt, or more food. All of which will probably cost more than $6.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy could've lost his job recently.
Yes they could have. OP also said Refuse to, not cannot afford to. That also Doesn't make the statement any less true. Amazon prime brings up 14 dedicated metal edged algae scrapers for aquarium use under $20.

What's the monthly upkeep on YOUR reef cost?

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that, and I usually go with fairly cheap equipment even though I can afford better. But you can buy an algea scraper for $6, if a person's budget for an aquarium doesn't allow for a $6 purchase then what happens when they need to buy medicine, more salt, or more food. All of which will probably cost more than $6.
Maybe he's saving the $6 for the medicine, etc. I'm sure the guy could buy the scraper if he really wanted to.

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's his/her choice. Let him/her do what they want. It was a simple question. Is it dangerous or not?... No, if it's washed properly.

OP
OP
C

chad8282

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea
Yes they could have. OP also said Refuse to, not cannot afford to. That also Doesn't make the statement any less true. Amazon prime brings up 14 dedicated metal edged algae scrapers for aquarium use under $20.

What's the monthly upkeep on YOUR reef cost?
It's his/her choice. Let him/her do what they want. It was a simple question. Is it dangerous or not?... No, if it's washed properly.
yea. I just have had many different scrapers only trying to find the most efficient method. I got plenty of salt and filter media and haven’t had a problem for months that require medication or any new fish. School time books are expensive just doing the bare minimum to get by as I just broke the bank on school. Also I have razors and rubbing alc on demand but the card will do. Thanks all

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wash them in detergent and rinse well and maybe wipe down with alcohol and dry. I have used razor blades before but not oily ones. They rust quickly if not stainless, even if you wash them immediately after use.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 96 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back