Will this frag tank hooked up to main tank idea work?

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29gal with 20gal sump. Recently I’ve learned that I’m 1. Running out of coral room 2. Kind of addicted to zoas and palys. I have a spare 10 gal and 5 gal and would love to hook up one or two to the main tank. I don’t know the exact logistics of what would go on inside but i know which light I want
This one: LED Aquarium Light – Aquarium LED Lights 30W Saltwater Lighting with Touch Control and 3W Cree Chips for Coral Reef Fish Nano Tank
And then have a small maybe 90gph bird bath pumping water from my return chamber to the frag tank and then another one from frag tank to filter sock chamber. Will this affect my original tank system?

I’m assuming I might need a small power head to keep things moving? Any advice, questions, comments will be welcome

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I'd say most frag systems are plumbed. I have a 120g tank with a 40g frag tank hooked into a single sump. The one problem with your strategy is that it would be tough to keep the pumps exactly the same so that there's no change in the balance. You just have to get the frag tank to be a normal overflow.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you meaning by this? Like I’ll have to dial the pumps in to be like a normal overflow or I’ll have to drill and plump it into the system?
You'll need to drill it. If you have 2 pumps, one going each way, even one being slightly off from the other is going to throw things out of wack.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back