Will this hermit crab eat my fish? Help

HermitCrab15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went free diving and brought back the biggest hermit crab I have ever put in a tank. Right now I put it in my 10-Gallon and I need to know if it is harmful. I've done some research on my own but I've found nothing concrete yet. Brown legs and a little bit of hair with white spots on its legs and body. This crab has been in the tank or about a week and seems very inactive, typically just sits in a corner or on top of the rock but does move occasionally.

What kind of hermit crab is this?
Will this crab be harmful to my fish?
Is the tank it is in too small? (I Have a 15-gallon that it could be moved to if need be)

Pics of the tank and crab:
IMG_1822.jpeg
IMG_1818.jpeg
IMG_1820.jpeg

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went free diving and brought back the biggest hermit crab I have ever put in a tank. Right now I put it in my 10-Gallon and I need to know if it is harmful. I've done some research on my own but I've found nothing concrete yet. Brown legs and a little bit of hair with white spots on its legs and body. This crab has been in the tank or about a week and seems very inactive, typically just sits in a corner or on top of the rock but does move occasionally.

Is the tank it is in too small? (I Have a 15-gallon that it could be moved to if need be)

IMG_1822.jpeg
IMG_1818.jpeg
IMG_1820.jpeg
My experience is those will eat anything it feels like.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it legal to collect coral and inverts where you live?
I live in Florida and used collect blue leg hermits, scarlet hermits, emerald crabs and tons of serpent stars.
Totally legal.
There may be limits on daily collections now haven’t done it in a while. I had a spot I could get as many scarlets as I wanted.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly, if you can provide other shells for it as it grows and feed enough, it may not be as agressive

Try 'crab cuisine' my hermits love these
And or algae wafers, my snails love these also

Since it's wild caught expect it's natural predatory behaviour

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1822.jpeg
IMG_1818.jpeg
IMG_1820.jpeg
I'd be worried about those trucks too! lol

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Florida and used collect blue leg hermits, scarlet hermits, emerald crabs and tons of serpent stars.
Totally legal.
There may be limits on daily collections now haven’t done it in a while. I had a spot I could get as many scarlets as I wanted.
My question was actually driven by the fact that he already posted about a "coral" he collected and wanted to ID (turns out it's a sponge, but he obviously thought it was a coral when he took it out of the ocean)... Figured more posts with collected items would follow, and wanted to be sure he understood the legalities.

OP
OP
HermitCrab15

HermitCrab15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly, if you can provide other shells for it as it grows and feed enough, it may not be as agressive

Try 'crab cuisine' my hermits love these
And or algae wafers, my snails love these also

Since it's wild caught expect it's natural predatory behaviour
I will definitely look into it thank you for the suggestion.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back