Will this mess up salinity?

COwCOw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been losing a bit of water lately due to so much aclimation, If I add more saltwater will it raise the salinity level Or if I do a water change and add more water than the amount I took out?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been losing a bit of water lately due to so much aclimation, If I add more saltwater will it raise the salinity level Or if I do a water change and add more water than the amount I took out?
If you took out 1 gallon of water you need to add 1 gallon of same salinity salt water back otherwise yes it obviously changes salinity. If 1 gallon of evaporation happens then 1 gallon of rodi needs to be added or obviously salinity changes

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to measure the tank salinity and add the proper tho b that is needed to get water level back to its proper spot

OP
OP
COwCOw

COwCOw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you took out 1 gallon of water you need to add 1 gallon of same salinity salt water back otherwise yes it obviously changes salinity. If 1 gallon of evaporation happens then 1 gallon of rodi needs to be added or obviously salinity changes
Ok thank you SOOO much I was worried if it would change my salinity at all. Thank you!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by losing water? Leaking? Evaporating?

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said acclimation so I'm guessing doing a drip to add fish from the dt

OP
OP
COwCOw

COwCOw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by losing water? Leaking? Evaporating?"
"due to acclimating" Ive been acclimating alot of corals and fish lately, and at the beginning I acclimated fish wrong by adding water to individual bags and added too much water each time.

OP
OP
COwCOw

COwCOw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said acclimation so I'm guessing doing a drip to add fish from the dt
Yeah I can only add water from the dt since I don't have any other way and I didn't have a drip acclimation tube at the beginning so I did it with a cup instead so it used more water than drip acclimating.

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a plastic trash can and put a powerhead in it and keep fresh mixed saltwater in it. Thats what I do for my tanks. But remember if it's just water evaporation just add rodi water as salt doesn't evaporate

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimating corals? I just dip em and put em in my tanks I don't Acclimate corals, but that's just me.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I can only add water from the dt since I don't have any other way and I didn't have a drip acclimation tube at the beginning so I did it with a cup instead so it used more water than drip acclimating.
OK so yes then you will need fresh mixed salt water to the proper salinity to add back to the display tank from the water you removed In the future make sure you have the salt water ready before you buy any more fish or corals

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you do this acclamation the way you are and have an auto top off system when you remove the salt water for acclamation your auto top off will add freshwater definitely lowering your salinity usually I turn off my auto top off in the situation’s till I get a chance to correct it with salt water then I turn auto top off back on

OP
OP
COwCOw

COwCOw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you do this acclamation the way you are and have an auto top off system when you remove the salt water for acclamation your auto top off will add freshwater definitely lowering your salinity usually I turn off my auto top off in the situation’s till I get a chance to correct it with salt water then I turn auto top off back on
I do not use an auto top I add RODI water every 3-5 days and making sure the salinity doesn't go over 0.026 (mine is currently at 0.025

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back