Will to AI Prime LEDs be enough to start in a 65g?

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I recently started a 65 gallon rimless reef (34 x 20 x 20) and have two Ai 16 Prime LED fixtures. I plan on having an SPS dominant reef. In the future, I would like to upgrade the lighting system, but would this be enough to start with hardier SPS corals?

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I recently started a 65 gallon rimless reef (34 x 20 x 20) and have two Ai 16 Prime LED fixtures. I plan on having an SPS dominant reef. In the future, I would like to upgrade the lighting system, but would this be enough to start with hardier SPS corals?
What are you considering SPS corals? I ask because if you're referencing montis, birdsnest, anacropora etc it may work but I don't really believe that for acropora it would work out unless you put them fairly close to the top of the tank and close to being directly under the puck of light.

BRS did an investigation on this and they suggest 1 prime for every 14 inches and the PAR map they provided shows that the drop off is pretty drastic

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 10.48.31 PM.png

Here's a link for ya

Loosechangereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine ,I suggest go halfway to 3\4 high in your tank with sps placement,Sps like old stable aquariums with alot of flow and care, happy reefing

Back