Will Turf Algae go away on its own?

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have some small, but thick, patches of turf algae scattered around my tank. I've really gotten my parameters in check the last few months (1PPM NO3 and .03 PO4), so I'm wondering if the turf algae will ever just go away on its own, or if I have to intervene?

It's not really enough that I think it's one of those situations where the nutrient levels are low because of the algae.

I have Flux RX on hand, but I'd have to take out my Purit and Purigen, and I don't want to throw things out of whack when they've been so stable.

Thanks for any insight!

Scorchx1245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i recently had what i believe was red turf algea. thick leather/velvet sheets of red algea growing on my live rock. Right before this i was fighting 0 P04 and dinos, which turned to cyano, which when was fixed ( through over feeding, super dry skim, and stopping water changes/filter socks) this turned into red turf. I tried to blast with a turkey baster and peel it off but it was to real no avail, but i heard someone beat it with turbo snails, so i added a couple. They stopped it from spreading but wouldnt really dent it. So i then added a red tuxedo urchin. He spent his whole first day eating away at it, leaving his area just a bit more clear every day. which eventually turned into like track marks. I then had a way to combat it but then i wanted to beat it....so i started keeping my n03 and p04 in check and got my tank right (real close watch on temp added an inkbird, and testing the big 3 everyday) and i believe with getting everything in line such as knocking the turf algea down a peg, beating dinos then cyano, my corals started to out compete the red turf and it literally started to weakin its grasp on the live rock where i could pull up quarter size sheets of it off my live rock. Im still battleing it but have reclaimed more than half my tank. I hope this helps.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot! That’s exactly what my basic game plan is, so here’s hoping it works. It’s some dang stubborn stuff.

Tyes68gto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished this battle thankfully. I neglected my tank sadly due to surgery recovery and nutrients got out of hand leading to turf algae. Once I got nutrients back in line I continued my weekly water changes as normal for months and I could not get a foot hold against the turf algae - to the point I considered a tear down. Tried the Flux Rx per my LFS and it did nothing for my tank. I know some people love or hate Vibrant but that is how I finally beat it. I did not dose twice a week as it recommends for turf algae, only dosed it once a week. It took a while but 3 months later it’s 99% gone thankfully. I don’t prefer dosing chemicals to fix my tank algae issues but turf algae was a whole new level of tough and forced me too. Good luck with your battle!

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've battled this algae as well..

I did use flux in the end but what I can say is if you can remove the rocks or material the turf algae is on and scrub it in a 5 gallon bucket of tank water do it !! You'll cut it back tremendously and than repeat next algae bloom

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished this battle thankfully. I neglected my tank sadly due to surgery recovery and nutrients got out of hand leading to turf algae. Once I got nutrients back in line I continued my weekly water changes as normal for months and I could not get a foot hold against the turf algae - to the point I considered a tear down. Tried the Flux Rx per my LFS and it did nothing for my tank. I know some people love or hate Vibrant but that is how I finally beat it. I did not dose twice a week as it recommends for turf algae, only dosed it once a week. It took a while but 3 months later it’s 99% gone thankfully. I don’t prefer dosing chemicals to fix my tank algae issues but turf algae was a whole new level of tough and forced me too. Good luck with your battle!
Thanks a lot. Did you end up with any cyano because of Vibrant? That seems to be what happens to me every time I dose it. I get cyano, and the algae stays put haha

Tyes68gto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot. Did you end up with any cyano because of Vibrant? That seems to be what happens to me every time I dose it. I get cyano, and the algae stays put haha
I did not thankfully, maybe due to the fact I under dosed it and let time slowly allow it to kill the turf algae? I also have a whole lot of flow in my tank so that always helps!

Javier Rivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, hope you’re winning this battle, I also have red turf algae and I have try red tuxedo (3) Mexican turbos (5) and other cuc ( 30 +) on a 30 long and they have trimmed it down but no eradication, i even took all my rocks out and nuke them with hydrogen peroxide for two weeks and i thought i had beat it but it came back after two weeks,
B34FD4AF-715F-4B77-A9F0-EDD10D2FCD80.jpeg
0A8F09D1-D442-4125-9ED3-7ABF9DFF1C00.jpeg
so I’m trying something that a lot of people will frown upon.

Javier Rivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, hope you’re winning this battle, I also have red turf algae and I have try red tuxedo (3) Mexican turbos (5) and other cuc ( 30 +) on a 30 long and they have trimmed it down but no eradication, i even took all my rocks out and nuke them with hydrogen peroxide for two weeks and i thought i had beat it but it came back after two weeks,
B34FD4AF-715F-4B77-A9F0-EDD10D2FCD80.jpeg
0A8F09D1-D442-4125-9ED3-7ABF9DFF1C00.jpeg
so I’m trying something that a lot of people will frown upon.
This is my tank now after two weeks
AC56E6D0-1749-43FC-97BA-705B605A56D5.jpeg
21C48A74-DB32-4C40-AA93-A930A83395DD.jpeg
56474D32-CB77-4706-8510-D556E9070664.jpeg
5B32A9CD-FA0C-4E5B-84FC-4B17D4D89BC5.jpeg

JayLu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was overgrown with green turf algae a couple of years ago. It started as a small patch, but over time it really got out of control. I bought a long spine black urchin that did a wonderful job of staying on the rocks and pretty soon got rid of almost all of the turf algae. But as the urchin became bigger, it started to eat any coral it went over. I got rid of it but would get another small one if and when needed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back