Will Waterbox 170.4/5 sump fit an Eheim 300W heater

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gang,

My new reef tank is on order and I’m trying to get all the bits and pieces together.

I’d like to get two heaters. Eheim Jaeger heaters seem to be well regarded but appear to be very long.

A 300W unit is about 50cm. I can’t find any internal measurements for the sump that comes with the 170.4/5.

Does anyone have the same unit? Will a heater this big fit comfortably?

Thanks in advance for any help!

MW319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to WB and view the reef pro series, look for the blue button that says BUY at the top and to the left of the buy button hit Tech Specs.

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this tank. You said you want two heaters? Both 300?

Yes. I'm very new to reefing but I've been told that two heaters will provide redundancy in the event that one fails "off".

I intend to hook both of them up to an Inkbird controller to provide a failsafe in the event that either heater fails "on".

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this tank. You said you want two heaters? Both 300?

Would love to hear any thoughts you may have on the tank or equipment choices you think worked particularly well.

So far I have purchased:

- Red Sea RSK600 skimmer
- Fluval SP4 return pump
- 3 x Red Sea ReefLED 90 watt lights

I'm not really sure what to do regarding circulation pumps. Ideally I'd like something that can be affixed to the back of the tank.

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to WB and view the reef pro series, look for the blue button that says BUY at the top and to the left of the buy button hit Tech Specs.

Thanks! Looking at the sump dimensions it lists:

Skimmer Chamber - 14.3″ × 19″ (362 × 484mm)

So it looks like it might fit, albeit at diagonal angle.

SPSReeferMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have the waterbox 170.4/5 and had the exact same problem as you. I bought a 300W and a 400W heater by mistake. I think one was an eheim. Both were WAY too long to fit where I wanted them. You will likely struggle to put them anywhere but the skimmer chamber and even then, you may not be able to totally submerge it (which is a problem as you must submerge them to the line). I wanted to place the heaters where the two overflow pipes come into the sump. I measured this to be about 14”. I went with the Finnex Titanium heater (300W). You can get these in various amounts of wattage and most are short enough to fit in the compartment that I wanted to place them in. Hope this helps.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two 300W Eheims is pretty overkill unless you need to heat up above ambient temp quite a bit. For the wattage used they go further than other brands. I have a 210 with two 250's and it heats up about 8° above ambient and they're only on about 1/4 of the time, if that. I think a pair of 200's would be more than sufficient.

SPSReeferMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to hear any thoughts you may have on the tank or equipment choices you think worked particularly well.

So far I have purchased:

- Red Sea RSK600 skimmer
- Fluval SP4 return pump
- 3 x Red Sea ReefLED 90 watt lights

I'm not really sure what to do regarding circulation pumps. Ideally I'd like something that can be affixed to the back of the tank.

To give you better feedback on your equipment, we would need to know a bit more about what type of reef tank or fish only tank that you plan to keep. I have not owned any of the equipment above, but nothing stands out as a problem to me.

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To give you better feedback on your equipment, we would need to know a bit more about what type of reef tank or fish only tank that you plan to keep. I have not owned any of the equipment above, but nothing stands out as a problem to me.

Thanks very much! I'd like to maintain a mixed reef system, ultimately. I don't imagine I'd get to SPS any time soon though.

Regarding fish, I'm hoping to get a Foxface Rabbitfish and two Clownfish to start with. I haven't developed a stocking plan yet. I need to acquire a quarantine system in the first instance.

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two 300W Eheims is pretty overkill unless you need to heat up above ambient temp quite a bit. For the wattage used they go further than other brands. I have a 210 with two 250's and it heats up about 8° above ambient and they're only on about 1/4 of the time, if that. I think a pair of 200's would be more than sufficient.

That's great information, thanks. I was going off the tank volume on the product website, having that real world feedback is very valuable.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use two 150 watt eheims. I used a 100 and a 200 because I had them hanging around, haha. I put mine exactly where you want to put yours.
4a18509cb5abe3dde537de38710aee35.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use two 150 watt eheims. I used a 100 and a 200 because I had them handing around, haha. I put mine exactly where you want to put yours.
4a18509cb5abe3dde537de38710aee35.jpg
Thank you very much!

Do you mind sharing the circulation pumps do you use? Any other feedback on the tank, tips / tricks etc.

Appreciate your help very much!

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The equipment you picked out sounds like it work just fine. I use the Maxspect gyre XF-250 for my circulation pumps. One on each end of the tank. Other pumps that would work well are the Ecotech MP40 and Reef Octopus Octo pulse 4. These are great pumps. I have the Octo Pulse 4 on my 300 gallon fowlr.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too much else as far as tips or tricks. Tank was pretty easy to plumb up and comes with everything you need. Get a cover for it because fish do jump. I'd go with Octo Aquatics or ClearView Lids.

Back