Will we be buying reef speakers and playing reef sounds in the future?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been seeing alot about this lately and it has me looking to replace my circulation pumps. Sps tank with high flow, Gyre 230's are espesially loud for the fish it must be like living inside of a jet engine's housing.
Im also going to ask BRS to investigate which pumps are the loudest.

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two Vortech MP40s are not quiet by any stretch of the imagination.

what about other natural noises being introduced? Interesting research for wild reefs. I wonder if it will have any part in our tanks. It isn’t like we can attract new fishes, but I do wonder if it improves their health or general well being.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been seeing alot about this lately and it has me looking to replace my circulation pumps. Sps tank with high flow, Gyre 230's are espesially loud for the fish it must be like living inside of a jet engine's housing.
@Bulk Reef Supply thoughts on loudest pumps and how they may effect our tank life
Idea by @Neoalchemist

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't think it bothers them. I'm running 2 of the 230's and my flat screen tv is 6' away from the tank.
all 2 dozen + of my fish aren't acting un-fish-like.
:cool:

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Loud isn't necessarily bad, the ocean is full of noise. Remember in water sound travels much further and faster.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had a thought of using a transducer to play reef sounds using something like a pi when I saw this a while back
I wonder if it may scare our fish as well. There has to be some alarming sounds that we can't pick up. I'm sure they can

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was one of the first to purchase the current usa blue tooth controller. They threw in free speakers as a thank you.

so i only am using a return pump at the moment. So none of these buttons do anything, except play sounds on those speakers lol.
0AD4CFF7-EABA-4284-9BD4-0F373E0B0BFA.png

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So i was one of the first to purchase the current usa blue tooth controller. They threw in free speakers as a thank you.

so i only am using a return pump at the moment. So none of these buttons do anything, except play sounds on those speakers lol.
0AD4CFF7-EABA-4284-9BD4-0F373E0B0BFA.png
Ya beat me to it. Serene has speakers in the setup. As of now only for fresh, but I instantly thought of that when the article came out. We are going to use the background on our reef. Unfortunately, the frosted back is not sold separately to accommodate most of our tanks. I'd be totally excited to test out reef sounds on ours.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya beat me to it. Serene has speakers in the setup. As of now only for fresh, but I instantly thought of that when the article came out. We are going to use the background on our reef. Unfortunately, the frosted back is not sold separately to accommodate most of our tanks. I'd be totally excited to test out reef sounds on ours.
The loop ones play a mixture of wave, thunderstorms and sea gull sounds. The sunny one plays music? They havent updated the app in some time so maybe they will add more eventually. I only use when showing off my tank to visitors lol.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will not suggest that someone get a decent stethiscope and drop it in thier tank because I dont think anyone wants to know how loud it really is in there. If I can hear my gyre's ramping up or down from the second floor I cant imagine how bad it must be in the tank.
I believe in a more holistic approach to overall health and a peacefull environment is a big part of that. Noise this loud in water, cant be healthy. Stress leads to disease.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The loop ones play a mixture of wave, thunderstorms and sea gull sounds. The sunny one plays music? They havent updated the app in some time so maybe they will add more eventually. I only use when showing off my tank to visitors lol.
My son has a playlist for his fish. Not kidding. His includes storms as well. He says the clowns spawn to GNR. Um...they do.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I play Jimmy Buffett and other happy reef sounds, the fish walk over to my tank from my friends tank in the next town. His Maroon Clown came, but he is a jerk so I sent him back home.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back