youcallmenny1

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those Anthias are just beautiful!
Thanks bud! It's amazing to watch that switch as they transition. This one kind of caught me by surprise. Sorry to miss you at the meeting last weekend but having 3 young ones myself, I have totally had that exact 'Dad Moment' myself more times than I'd like to admit. Next time!

OP
OP
youcallmenny1

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busted out the DSLR today for the first time in a while. Sorry about the ongoing algae issues. Nutrients are under control and the refugium is finally starting to grow again after 6 months of stalling out after Vibrant use but still suffering some uglies. The transition on to AFR has been pretty smooth and things are looking happy and growing quickly. Definitely an improvement from the BRS 2-part I was using.

IMG_1518.JPG
IMG_1519.JPG
IMG_1520.JPG
IMG_1521.JPG
IMG_1522.JPG
IMG_1523.JPG
IMG_1524.JPG
IMG_1525.JPG
IMG_1526.JPG

OP
OP
youcallmenny1

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Pics! So you're happy with the AFR? Any suspicious issues come up with the tank other than the pH thing?
Actually, the AFR leveled out the chemistry and the pH rose to 8.6. I removed the CO2 scrubber and it's pegged at 8.3 now. It's been a really nice switch and I'd recommend it.

OP
OP
youcallmenny1

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it's been about a month. I will say that the levels are definitely proportional. I've always aimed for 8.1dKh and 420ppm CA but with AFR, putting it at 420 CA pegs alkalinity right at 9.0 dkH. That's fine, I just let it do it's thing and it's been rock solid. The coral are just night and day from what they were. Lots of growth and color.

OP
OP
youcallmenny1

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news: After almost 5 years of operation, I had a double redundancy failure and cooked my tank up to almost 100F. This obviously killed everything in it, total loss. That's it for me. I just want to say it's been a wonderful journey and thank you to everyone that provided insight and help. Good luck to you all on your reefing journeys and don't forget to periodically ensure your redundant protection systems are operating correctly.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news: After almost 5 years of operation, I had a double redundancy failure and cooked my tank up to almost 100F. This obviously killed everything in it, total loss. That's it for me. I just want to say it's been a wonderful journey and thank you to everyone’s that provided insight and help. Good luck to you all on your reefing journeys and don't forget to periodically ensure your redundant protection systems are operating correctly.
Very sorry about your experience. You are an amazing Reefer!!! Hoping that your love of the hobby will bring you back soon!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back