William’s Red Sea Max Nano, Mantis + Carpet

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This aquarium is an evolution of my previous Innovative Marine 14 gallon peninsula. All of the Inhabitants of the Peninsula have been moved to the new Aquarium.

7F7331A2-B3C2-404E-BCE7-8A4871AB9653.jpeg

As seen in my previous aquarium, the inhabitants of this system are not typical or recommend for most setups. The oldest inhabitant of the system is a Neogonodactylus curacaoensis,
Mantis shrimp, which I acquired in April/May of 2020. During this time He/She has grown considerably. The second oldest Inhabitant is a female “Spotcinctus” clownfish, who has hosted in the numerous rainbow bubbletip anemones this system has supported. I have never seen aggression between the mantis and this clownfish to date.

In June of 2022 I purchased a red Haddoni carpet anemone for the clownfish, and the anemone that arrived was much larger than expected. A few weeks later I purchased a small Spotcinctus clownfish and an aptasia eating filefish. Both new additions have done well. The aquarium did well but the anemone took up all of the real estate. While searching the “for sale” section on my local reef forum, I saw a post for a gently used Red Sea Max Nano, which I promptly created a ton of micro bubbles)
  • Light: Kessil A360x Tuna blue with narrow angle reflector
  • Wavemaker: Nero 5 (I am currently looking for a Nero 3)
  • Temperature control: Inkbird controlling heater and fan
  • ATO: XP Aqua duetto
  • System controller: Apex EL with PH, Temp, and Trident
  • Ph Control: Milwaukee Instruments PH controller and doser - saturated Kalk dosing at night (as needed)
  • Additional doser: Kamoer x1
  • Rock: Unique Corals Australian live rock
  • Substrate: Two Little Fishies “Reborn” calcium reactor media
  • Salt: Tropic Marin Pro reef salt.
  • General Ca/Alk/trace management: Tropic Marin “All-4-Reef”
  • Supplemental Ca/Alk/Ph: Saturated Kalkwasser.
    E6682821-2867-41B5-B10C-839B7109D3D7.jpeg
(Blue heavy spectrum, taken day of move)

I will update more Information shortly.

follow me on instagram @wills_reefs

wwarby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is uncanny. My name is also William, and I just bought a RedSea Max Peninsula tank to rehouse my mantis shrimp :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Beautiful tank - I see your mantis lets you keep clowns and snails in there with him. Mine didn't - that's why I'm moving her out of her 65g tank to a more appropriately sized tank.

Looks like you don't have a PVC burrow for your mantis. How big is he? Mine's a chunk - fully grown peacock about 7 inches long. I've just bought some 3" PVC tubing to make the burrow for her - it's annoyingly huge for a tank of this size but I didn't like the thought of her smashing the bottom of the tank trying to dig her own burrow in the sand and the 2" tubing in her current tank is too small, she can't turn inside it and was visibly (and audibly!) trying to make it bigger before a molt.

OP
OP
Wtyson254

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is uncanny. My name is also William, and I just bought a RedSea Max Peninsula tank to rehouse my mantis shrimp :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Beautiful tank - I see your mantis lets you keep clowns and snails in there with him. Mine didn't - that's why I'm moving her out of her 65g tank to a more appropriately sized tank.

Looks like you don't have a PVC burrow for your mantis. How big is he? Mine's a chunk - fully grown peacock about 7 inches long. I've just bought some 3" PVC tubing to make the burrow for her - it's annoyingly huge for a tank of this size but I didn't like the thought of her smashing the bottom of the tank trying to dig her own burrow in the sand and the 2" tubing in her current tank is too small, she can't turn inside it and was visibly (and audibly!) trying to make it bigger before a molt.
Mine is only 3” (and I think mostly fully grown) the carpet anemone protects the clowns and the snails eventually get eaten, I just have to replace them.

Back