Willz 120g Monti Lagoon (probably Exhibit A in the future divorce...)

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming that there should be no feeding the tank while it's blacked out.

Would I continue to dose NOPOX, alk, calcium and H2O2?

If anyone can speak to that I'd like to know. This is my first ever blackout....

I wouldn't feed during the black out. Keep the tank completely covered the entire 3 days. You may want to run a couple of air stones in the tank as well. I hope this takes care of it for you.

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't feed during the black out. Keep the tank completely covered the entire 3 days. You may want to run a couple of air stones in the tank as well. I hope this takes care of it for you.

Thanks, bud! I wasn't really sure since I have anthias in there, but they are fat and happy after several weeks of 4+ daily feedings so I think they ought to be OK. I am probably going to add kalk to my top off water to try and raise the pH.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I was scrolling thru the treads today and I saw u posted in the aqua forest thread. Then it hit me Jackie I believe is her name and has the same looking type stuff growing in her tank. I'm wondering if its ur salt that is causing it.

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Justin! But, I haven't used it on the new tank yet :( I was using it on one of the existing tanks. I usually do one brute can full of Red Sea for the WC on the new tank and one other 75g, then mix up the AF for the remaining 75g (since it mixes quicker than Red Sea) with a little left for the week in case I need SW for siphoning out the tanks or emergencies.

I'm not sold that it is dinos. I really think it is either a filementatious bacterial bloom from dosing carbon or new tank syndrome. It didn't feel slimy when I was getting it off the rocks. But better safe than sorry!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Justin! But, I haven't used it on the new tank yet :( I was using it on one of the existing tanks. I usually do one brute can full of Red Sea for the WC on the new tank and one other 75g, then mix up the AF for the remaining 75g (since it mixes quicker than Red Sea) with a little left for the week in case I need SW for siphoning out the tanks or emergencies.

I'm not sold that it is dinos. I really think it is either a filementatious bacterial bloom from dosing carbon or new tank syndrome. It didn't feel slimy when I was getting it off the rocks. But better safe than sorry!
Shoot well just a thought as I have seen people with problems and the common denominator was af salt

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights out for the last three days, micro bubbling, wet skimming, H2O2 and voila the tank looks a lot better. Spent some quality time with a toothbrush and scraper cleaning prior to, and it really looks much better. Getting ready to jet out of town for two weeks. Eager to see if it will be long term :/

IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have fun on ur vacation leave the front door open I'll take care of ur stuff.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heading to Tenerife for two weeks ;)
I'd never heard of that place before so I looked it up. That is going to be amazing!! Definitely share lots of pics with us! Have you been there before? Is there good diving there?

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd never heard of that place before so I looked it up. That is going to be amazing!! Definitely share lots of pics with us! Have you been there before? Is there good diving there?

First trip ;) We were planning Caribbean but we are going with another couple who had concerns about Zika since she's trying to get pregnant. I've never dived before but definitely plan on snorkeling and doing some fishing as well.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have a great time! You might check with a dive shop there and see if they offer any intro dives. No experience needed, 2 hrs of class time then an hour in the water. That's how my wife & I got started diving in Hawaii about 20 yrs ago!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back