Willz 120g Monti Lagoon (probably Exhibit A in the future divorce...)

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming that there should be no feeding the tank while it's blacked out.

Would I continue to dose NOPOX, alk, calcium and H2O2?

If anyone can speak to that I'd like to know. This is my first ever blackout....
When I did the Blackout I didn't feed or dose anything. I purchased a bunch of Turbo snails, and they cleaned everything up over the course of a few weeks. I believe this growth is mostly new tank syn. Watch how big the snails grow.

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did the Blackout I didn't feed or dose anything. I purchased a bunch of Turbo snails, and they cleaned everything up over the course of a few weeks. I believe this growth is mostly new tank syn. Watch how big the snails grow.

I think so too. I can see a good dusting of diatoms underneath, and the top stuff was more filamentous brown algae. When I hit it with the toothbrush it wasn't slimy, it was easy to get off the rocks (as easy as it can be with a toothbrush, haha). Plus, it almost completely disappeared after three days lights out. There were a few spots that I could tell I missed with the cleaning, but everywhere else I hit it was really clean. I'm not 100% either that it was dinos. One of my buddies said it was "some kind of funky new tank syndrome algae". And without a microscope that is good enough for me :)

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have a great time! You might check with a dive shop there and see if they offer any intro dives. No experience needed, 2 hrs of class time then an hour in the water. That's how my wife & I got started diving in Hawaii about 20 yrs ago!

Our friends from Germany wanted to dive, too. And I'm all about it as well. But my wife's friend says apropos of nothing, "They make the scuba masks so that you can throw up no problem." Like either of us knew that throwing up underwater was an issue or even a thing. Then she goes on to tell a story about getting seasick underwater and having that problem. So, based on one person's limited experience my wife doesn't want to do it now :(

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our friends from Germany wanted to dive, too. And I'm all about it as well. But my wife's friend says apropos of nothing, "They make the scuba masks so that you can throw up no problem." Like either of us knew that throwing up underwater was an issue or even a thing. Then she goes on to tell a story about getting seasick underwater and having that problem. So, based on one person's limited experience my wife doesn't want to do it now :(
Wow! I dive, and never herd of anyone " Ralph' in " underwater, that usually happens on the way back!
Sorry, Double WOW!
Now I can bring friend fishing and diving to catch fish by chumming up the water!
Remember this: Bring cheese wiz to your dive, and stay up current when you squirt your cheese, then watch and take pictures. All the reef fish will be inches away. Your left with no scent, very important.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I dive, and never herd of anyone " Ralph' in " underwater, that usually happens on the way back!
Sorry, Double WOW!
Now I can bring friend fishing and diving to catch fish by chumming up the water!
Remember this: Bring cheese wiz to your dive, and stay up current when you squirt your cheese, then watch and take pictures. All the reef fish will be inches away. Your left with no scent, very important.

Cheez-wiz? No joke? That is crazy! Technically the Canary Islands are in Europe, so I may have to settle for Nutella, hahaha....

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheez-wiz? No joke? That is crazy! Technically the Canary Islands are in Europe, so I may have to settle for Nutella, hahaha....
We always grab extra bags of Cheerios and feed with those. You'll be covered with fish.

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We always grab extra bags of Cheerios and feed with those. You'll be covered with fish.

I'm working on convincing her to get certified in a local lake here. I'd love to get certified so I could check out the reefs up close and personal!

Thanks for the tips on getting the fish close :) I hope the water is OK for snorkeling while we are there!

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm basically just waiting on @Willz ( :D )to get some par readings from his Reefbrites so I'll know if it's worth changing out the t12s for them if they are close to the same par but less heat.

Hey, I went back and was looking at some of the older posts. The ReefBrites are 12" above the water, the water is 16" deep, and the PAR from only the RB's is ~20 on the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much light are you giving this frag tank right now? (Peak. Either lux or PAR would be fine units to measure in IMO, in case you have no PAR meter.)

The PAR is peak ~200 on the bottom in the front of the tank. And is ~260 on the rocks closer to the surface in the back of the tank.

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I went back and was looking at some of the older posts. The ReefBrites are 12" above the water, the water is 16" deep, and the PAR from only the RB's is ~20 on the bottom of the tank.

I still haven't made up my mind if I want to change them out or not. My tank is almost twice that deep though so I would probably have to go with the xhos instead of the techs it looks like. Thanks bud for checking that out for me.

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven't made up my mind if I want to change them out or not. My tank is almost twice that deep though so I would probably have to go with the xhos instead of the techs it looks like. Thanks bud for checking that out for me.

@justingraham has some of the XHOs for sale. I have heard the XHOs are more for actually growing corals, while the Tech lamps are just for making them "pop" or I guess maybe really shallow tanks.

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@justingraham has some of the XHOs for sale. I have heard the XHOs are more for actually growing corals, while the Tech lamps are just for making them "pop" or I guess maybe really shallow tanks.

Yeah I've talked to him about them. I'm still trying to decide between the Blues or 50/50s. The more that I look at my tank,I think that my Radions are putting out plenty of blues and may just turn up the white channels a little bit. I'm pretty much undecided right now basically and might just leave things alone. (for a while) :D

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tenerife for the Holidays:

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1435.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG

Yay!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ur dogs stood no chance against me who hahahahaha just kidding I'm at work have a fun trip

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heading to Tenerife for two weeks ;)

Two weeks! Forget snorkeling. Take a open water course and enjoy the ocean. It's really easy and you'll love it.
Only time I've seen a diver throw up inside the water was because he was still drunk and it happen just when he enter the water... don't believe everything you ear.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back