Wilsoni Coral Care (avoiding lighting overexposure)

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it not stress him out constantly moving him in and out of the tank?

Also, you are getting the spots!

128CC7BF-593E-4C63-9821-2C8786C92AF1.jpeg

[/QUOTE
i only have done it once. Do you think i shouldnt do it any longer? i usually would scoop him up in the tank its in a pretty easy easy to grab spot and return to the location.
Thats pretty exciting news i hadnt heard about the spots or anything like that so thats information i didnt have before

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I personally wouldn’t do it but if it works for you then do what you see fit.

Everyone I’ve spoken to or read from who has successfully recovered a bleached temperate wilsoni all say the same thing about the spots.

It’s pretty cool how it works. They just show up and then start filling in like a pencil.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn’t do it but if it works for you then do what you see fit.

Everyone I’ve spoken to or read from who has successfully recovered a bleached temperate wilsoni all say the same thing about the spots.

It’s pretty cool how it works. They just show up and then start filling in like a pencil.
i dont really see them at all. I think maybe what you saw was roids that hadnt been eaten yet or maybe a chunk of pellet because they dont seem to be there any more. That being said it looks full and fluffy even ripples slightly in the current sometimes.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont really see them at all. I think maybe what you saw was roids that hadnt been eaten yet or maybe a chunk of pellet because they dont seem to be there any more. That being said it looks full and fluffy even ripples slightly in the current sometimes.

Yours still has a lot of zooxanthelle so it may be that and it will just color up. Since mine was in real bad shape, the dots will look like this. They first come in brown and then color up.

7C2952C4-6FB8-4C1E-A095-35DC2B084AB7.jpeg
23E0FB4A-DFDC-45CD-B9A0-6969086F461C.jpeg
CC4AC019-06C5-4B8E-8264-DAA47CD3AB6E.jpeg

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours still has a lot of zooxanthelle so it may be that and it will just color up. Since mine was in real bad shape, the dots will look like this. They first come in brown and then color up.

7C2952C4-6FB8-4C1E-A095-35DC2B084AB7.jpeg
23E0FB4A-DFDC-45CD-B9A0-6969086F461C.jpeg
CC4AC019-06C5-4B8E-8264-DAA47CD3AB6E.jpeg
I can see exactly what you mean in those pictures. In fact that makes sense how it would continue to spread throughout the rest of the tissue. I can see your starting to get some florescence back in there as well. That is truly great news. I hope you continue to see progress. It gives me hope.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see exactly what you mean in those pictures. In fact that makes sense how it would continue to spread throughout the rest of the tissue. I can see your starting to get some florescence back in there as well. That is truly great news. I hope you continue to see progress. It gives me hope.

It looks like you started with great care which prevented yours from ever getting to the point the previous owner made mine.

Is it too early to say that you and I will be one of the first to document their success in reviving a temperate wilsoni on here?

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you started with great care which prevented yours from ever getting to the point the previous owner made mine.

Is it too early to say that you and I will be one of the first to document their success in reviving a temperate wilsoni on here?
I had that same thought honestly, i hadnt seen anything or anyone who had documented this journey as we have. It does seem that many have come and vented frustrations like some of the guys a few weeks back but werent able to find information or people with any level of success.
When i first encountered my wilsoni I knew that there was likely never going to be another opportunity for me to own one of these creatures due to the normal cost. That and the fact that i hate to see any animal suffering let alone ones that we are putting into our personal glass prisons i started to research as much as possible. I never would have thought as you had to got to insta to see who had them and what they might say about the care and rehab. Hats off to you sir for using every avenue at your disposal.
Heres to hoping we are the first to show that it can be done and with pictures to prove it!

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to avoid having to do this but I had no choice.

The amphipods were consuming far too much of my wilsos tissue. They were doing so at an alarming rate.

I gave my wilso a coral rd bath and about 50 amphipods were in its skeleton. I’m happy I did this but he is in very rough shape. I hope he’s able to recover and doesn’t expel the zooxanthelle we’ve spent months encouraging to return.

:/

2EAD7949-D023-4FEE-896B-2472375C8337.jpeg
09C0C478-A9F1-459A-B181-FFCD7B1B7720.jpeg
EF598C77-B366-457D-9700-1308BB46E689.jpeg
C4E2C72D-FA68-4CFE-82FA-C455A4A09A9C.jpeg

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright you need to add a somthing that hunts pods more effectively, melunarus wrasse come to mind or dragonet something. Maybe cover it with a tupper wear with pin pricks in it. Pods always signify the eating of necrotic tissue. When i see them they were usually eating dead tissue.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright you need to add a somthing that hunts pods more effectively, melunarus wrasse come to mind or dragonet something. Maybe cover it with a tupper wear with pin pricks in it. Pods always signify the eating of necrotic tissue. When i see them they were usually eating dead tissue.

I added a canary wrasse, everyone seems to agree they are the best wrasse for amphipods.

These pods have been eating a lot of my lps. They nearly consumed a two polyp dragon soul favia I added in 4 days. They have been going after healthy tissue, not just dead tissue.

The situation is now under control but the wrasse just wasn’t hunting around the wilso. The amphipods were also nesting in the skeleton which made it harder.

I think I got the problem solved with that rx dip. I was able to kill about 50 of them. There are still a few thousand left lol.

My lights haven’t gone on yet but he looks better right now. I’ll give him a good pellet feeding soon.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a canary wrasse, everyone seems to agree they are the best wrasse for amphipods.

These pods have been eating a lot of my lps. They nearly consumed a two polyp dragon soul favia I added in 4 days. They have been going after healthy tissue, not just dead tissue.

The situation is now under control but the wrasse just wasn’t hunting around the wilso. The amphipods were also nesting in the skeleton which made it harder.

I think I got the problem solved with that rx dip. I was able to kill about 50 of them. There are still a few thousand left lol.
My lights haven’t gone on yet but he looks better right now. I’ll give him a good pellet feeding soon.

What pellets have you been using? I have been using formula 2 and spectrum for pellet feedings. He seems to really like the pellets gets all puffed up and happy looking

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i have of course begun the process of justifying finding another distressed wilso and seeing if i can rehab it. I have this issue where i feel the need to try and bring back coral thats seen better days. I have a good success rate honesty but i lost one that would of been the coolest thing in my tank. I will bet that if i look around lfs ill find several distressed Wilsonis that with a little care and attention could be brought back around.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have of course begun the process of justifying finding another distressed wilso and seeing if i can rehab it. I have this issue where i feel the need to try and bring back coral thats seen better days. I have a good success rate honesty but i lost one that would of been the coolest thing in my tank. I will bet that if i look around lfs ill find several distressed Wilsonis that with a little care and attention could be brought back around.

Same here man! Right now, reviving this wilso is bringing me the most enjoyment. You just don’t know what colors will come in and how it will look.

We’re very close it seems. With a lot of care and specialized treatment we can turn a $100 coral into an $800 one.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here man! Right now, reviving this wilso is bringing me the most enjoyment. You just don’t know what colors will come in and how it will look.

We’re very close it seems. With a lot of care and specialized treatment we can turn a $100 coral into an $800 one.
I got mine for $35 bucks but i had it on a parley with a bunch of other coral too

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pellets have you been using? I have been using formula 2 and spectrum for pellet feedings. He seems to really like the pellets gets all puffed up and happy looking

I have tested about 15 different foods on him for target feeding.

Anything small and powdering like reef roids just ticks him off and they won’t be able to consume much of it. Wilsos don’t really have feeders (they do of course but they don’t operate well).

The food needs to have weight and have a large enough volume to where they can sink in and it will fall into their mouths.

By far, the best food so far has been pellets. I use @Coral Frenzy 1mm lps pellets as they stay on his tissue well, he can consume all of them, and he receives significantly more nutrition.

I give him a healthy 20-30 pellet feed with a two days on one day off schedule. My wilso eats about as much as one of my fish. He consumes all of them and has never ever rejected any food. I could probably feed him daily but don’t want to push it.

I will also target feed him mysis with cyclops. He will eat about a half a cube when I do this. The mysis is just a little floaty though.

I think one of the issues people have is that they simply do not feed these guys enough. They have access to a huge amount of crustaceans and aminos in their natural environment. By not feeding them often, you’re limiting their growth, color, and health potential.

If someone has a bleached wilso and aren’t feeding them very often, they’re not being a good husband.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past few months I've basically been waiting for this coral do die. I mostly stopped target feeding and obsessing about lower temps. It's currently in water that is 78-79 almost all the time. I will note a few weeks ago I had a power failure and my generator wouldn't start so I did have the water drop overnight to 71 and with a lot of work I got it back to 74.

It may be too late for this piece as it's in rough shape, but I'm starting to feed it more again as the zooxanthellae is actually coming back after all this time. I purchased it in April 2019 from a fresh shipment and it bleached just a few weeks later then completely bleached. It actually spent weeks maybe months in my sump with no light but that didn't help it and I eventually moved it to my frag tank.

Still I was pretty shocked to see at least one polyp looking almost "normal".

_MG_0747.JPG
_MG_0748_LI.jpg

Now it would be great if I can get the colour back, then the tissue back. When I first got this piece it did grow new tissue as I had the colony cut in half just before I purchased it, but spending 1-2 years to recover a coral as rewarding as that sounds is really not worthwhile unless you have a specific area to work with it. In my case I have room in the frag tank but I was always reluctant to move it here as it runs slightly warmer then my display tank.

IF I ever were to get another, and that's a big IF I think I would keep it in its own tank for the first 6 months or so. That way I could keep it at room temp initially and slowly raise and also feed it as much as I wanted. If I were to dip this piece I'm sure tons of pods and worms would fall out.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past few months I've basically been waiting for this coral do die. I mostly stopped target feeding and obsessing about lower temps. It's currently in water that is 78-79 almost all the time. I will note a few weeks ago I had a power failure and my generator wouldn't start so I did have the water drop overnight to 71 and with a lot of work I got it back to 74.

It may be too late for this piece as it's in rough shape, but I'm starting to feed it more again as the zooxanthellae is actually coming back after all this time. I purchased it in April 2019 from a fresh shipment and it bleached just a few weeks later then completely bleached. It actually spent weeks maybe months in my sump with no light but that didn't help it and I eventually moved it to my frag tank.

Still I was pretty shocked to see at least one polyp looking almost "normal".

_MG_0747.JPG
_MG_0748_LI.jpg

Now it would be great if I can get the colour back, then the tissue back. When I first got this piece it did grow new tissue as I had the colony cut in half just before I purchased it, but spending 1-2 years to recover a coral as rewarding as that sounds is really not worthwhile unless you have a specific area to work with it. In my case I have room in the frag tank but I was always reluctant to move it here as it runs slightly warmer then my display tank.

IF I ever were to get another, and that's a big IF I think I would keep it in its own tank for the first 6 months or so. That way I could keep it at room temp initially and slowly raise and also feed it as much as I wanted. If I were to dip this piece I'm sure tons of pods and worms would fall out.

I believe I came across your other post. You definitely got a temperate wilsoni. If the seller didn’t inform you it was a temperate and furthermore whether they acclimated it, they will lose their zooxanthelle very fast if dumped into water above 72 F.

They are also very slow to acclimate, regardless of it’s in the direction of criteria they prefer.

Yours never got too bad, I was shocked when your thread said you put it in the sump. You could have had it colored up within a few quick months and had a stunning piece.

Back