WIN a new LED LIGHT for your reef in NOOPSYCHE'S HELPFUL REEFER GIVEAWAY!

https://www.youtube.com/c/ReefStache

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
When planning coral placements and aquascape, really consider what will happen in the worst case. If you need to get an evil wrasse out thats too smart for traps, how bad would pulling rocks out really be?

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Official Entry: There are so many different ways to run a reef tank. One interesting tip bit I saw worded almost exactly the same from a couple different refers with very successful tanks was, 'In my opinion, skimmers strip too much from the water. "

Not an overly popular opinion but one I intend to roll with.

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
One I've heard and one I learned myself.

From BRStv: don't put rocks more than 2/3 the way up a tank when aquascaping because coral will grow to fill that space.

Self learned: if you find yourself saying the words "I will upgrade it later" just do it now, because "later" usually isn't all that much later.

TheDorkLord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Utility fish can be effective in controlling something (algae, aiptasia, etc.) before it becomes a problem.

The site looks great on mobile devices. Simple and easy to navigate.

Top Shelf Aquatics

G Santana

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
After 25 years being away and with so many advancements in the hobby, the best piece of advice/knowledge i gleaned was to run a fuge or ATS in order to help with many aspects of reef keeping. I started my tank without an ATS and the tank went off the rails but just one week with it in place and the tank started to balance out.
This was my first week harvest, nitrates are close to zero and phosphates are dropping fast.
Simple but so effective!!!
20210407_161718.jpg

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Two things.
A) use Vibrant to combat nuisance algae. (Have used it successfully against a bryopsis forest, and am now using it against gha.)
B) Cycle your tank slowly. I took a long time to cycle my tank, from ghost feeding, then keeping the lights off, and then finally adding some cheap frags to introduce coralline. In the end the result are worth it. There was no dirty period.

MotorCityCorals

PeterB113

View Badges
Reaction score
For those with nano tanks( buy a RODI system) saves tons of money in the long run and saves you from going to LFS every week to do a water change!! No more lugging buckets!!

Have you ever had a Angelfish in your reef tank?

• Yes and it was a model citizen (tell us which one)

Votes: 127 32.8%
  • Yes but it did nip from time to time

Votes: 56 14.5%
  • Yes but I had to remove it because it went rogue

Votes: 27 7.0%
  • No but I would like to try one

Votes: 108 27.9%
  • No and not interested

Votes: 54 14.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.9%
Growcorals.com