WIN a new LED LIGHT for your reef in NOOPSYCHE'S HELPFUL REEFER GIVEAWAY!

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When planning coral placements and aquascape, really consider what will happen in the worst case. If you need to get an evil wrasse out thats too smart for traps, how bad would pulling rocks out really be?

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official Entry: There are so many different ways to run a reef tank. One interesting tip bit I saw worded almost exactly the same from a couple different refers with very successful tanks was, 'In my opinion, skimmers strip too much from the water. "

Not an overly popular opinion but one I intend to roll with.

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One I've heard and one I learned myself.

From BRStv: don't put rocks more than 2/3 the way up a tank when aquascaping because coral will grow to fill that space.

Self learned: if you find yourself saying the words "I will upgrade it later" just do it now, because "later" usually isn't all that much later.

Samanthabea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never fully trust the local stores always do your own research and tests(lesson learned)

TheDorkLord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Utility fish can be effective in controlling something (algae, aiptasia, etc.) before it becomes a problem.

The site looks great on mobile devices. Simple and easy to navigate.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 25 years being away and with so many advancements in the hobby, the best piece of advice/knowledge i gleaned was to run a fuge or ATS in order to help with many aspects of reef keeping. I started my tank without an ATS and the tank went off the rails but just one week with it in place and the tank started to balance out.
This was my first week harvest, nitrates are close to zero and phosphates are dropping fast.
Simple but so effective!!!
20210407_161718.jpg

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official entry (most helpful thing you have learned): don’t impulse buy

No matter how much you like the look of the fish, if you haven’t done research, then don’t get it.

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things.
A) use Vibrant to combat nuisance algae. (Have used it successfully against a bryopsis forest, and am now using it against gha.)
B) Cycle your tank slowly. I took a long time to cycle my tank, from ghost feeding, then keeping the lights off, and then finally adding some cheap frags to introduce coralline. In the end the result are worth it. There was no dirty period.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When plumbing a new aquarium draw a diagram of what you’re doing. Run it by another hobbyist. Write a list of parts needed. When at the store, get 4-5 extra pieces for each. You’ll likely use them all.

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those with nano tanks( buy a RODI system) saves tons of money in the long run and saves you from going to LFS every week to do a water change!! No more lugging buckets!!

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entry tip: remove tricky protective film from reflectors, acrylic, anything with a steam gun like you would use to get wrinkles out of your clothes.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back