WIN a new LED LIGHT for your reef in NOOPSYCHE'S HELPFUL REEFER GIVEAWAY!

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official Entry: Best piece of advice so far is that you can't grow corals when your nitrates/phosphates are zero. Mine keep bottoming out unless I dose! Ever since I started dosing my frags have done significantly better.

BurlyWizard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official Entry: Best piece of advice is that despite all evidence, ask for help. Test kits can go bad, a batch of salt can be spoiled, that piece of equipment could be leaking electrical current into the water. Don't solely rely or make big decisions based on your own research & analysis (even if it seems as scientific as a test kit) when things are going wrong.

Bob LI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't chase pH. I have tried to keep my pH over 8 for years, then realized if Alk was OK, pH of 7.7 or 7.8 is no big deal. (P.S. corals didn't seem to mind the lower pH.)

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love reading all of these tips in one place. Here are four good ones.

1.) not knowing your parameters at all, is worse than chasing your parameters. In this hobby, water chemistry is everything, so make sure you know what is going on.

2.) Keep a spray bottle of 50/50 vinegar water by your tank for non toxic cleaning of glass. Better yet, also use it to spray off your hands and arms, dry with a nearby towel, before putting them into the tank.

3.) In this hobby, we spend a lot of money, so look around for what you already have available, before making any new purchases. It is a simple thing, but has saved a lot of livestock, money and time over the years.

4.) Don't make changes based on one thing that is doing poorly in your tank. Look at all of the coral and your tank as a whole, before jumping to conclusions.

I've made a video with even more tips and bonuses here.

Bob LI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bonus #5. The customer's tank photos are great. Keeps me dreaming! Wish there was more info on the corals in the tanks.

LaxFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When fragging corals with a dremel, make sure to have some water nearby to dip the coral afterwards to avoid burns on the skeleton of the lps. You can also use certain dips to better the outcome

MohH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow in your reef tank needs to vary... in the ocean the flow can change depending on season... storms etc and so from time to time it may be beneficial that your flow pattern change.(and not run the same flow pattern all year and for years)

tuba_mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noopsyche Giveaway helpful.jpg

This month we're bringing back the "Noopsyche Helpful Reefer Giveaway!" In this month's giveaway, we're asking you to share the most helpful tips you've come across in reefing!

Noopsyche's Reef Lighting has become one of the popular reef lighting options for many members of our community here on Reef2Reef. Their K7 Pro II is their flagship light, and @noopsyche is giving you the chance to own one for FREE! You can check out @Dana Riddle's testing of the Noopsyche K7 Pro II HERE.

Please see the rules below and get your entries in NOW!

HOW TO ENTER

Official Entry: Post in this thread one tip that has been really helpful to you with the reef hobby. The more unique or lesser known the tip is, the better! We're looking for specific pieces of advice that may have helped with a specific issue or helped you to achieve success. (We're hoping for more than "Go slow and have patience." Give us something specific.)

BONUS ENTRIES (You may only do these AFTER your initial entry...winning entry will be verified for original entry)

*Make a separate post in this thread after completing any of the bonus entries. Winning entry is subject to verification.

Bonus 1:
Answer a thread where someone is asking a question, or start a new thread about a topic or issue (This might be to share something with the community, or even to ask a question...after all, your questions could be helpful to others who have the same question).
Bonus 2: Tag someone who has been very helpful to you and say thanks!
Bonus 3: Share this contest on social media (each social media platform can be used for 1 bonus entry. So, that could be 1 entry for Facebook, 1 for Twitter, 1 for IG, etc. Make a separate post in this thread for each social media post you make.
Bonus 4: Join the Noopsyche USA Facebook group. CLICK HERE!
Bonus 5: Check out the Noopsyche USA website and tell us what you like most. CLICK HERE!
Bonus 6: Start/Update your build thread on R2R and post a link here. You can do this once a week for bonus entries. Our members tanks forums are found here.

BONUS ENTRY FOR R2R SUPPORTING & PARTNER MEMBERS: This is an entry option that is only available if you are a Reef2Reef Supporting or Partner Member. If you are a supporting/partner member please make a post in this thread stating that you are a R2R supporter/partner. If you're not a supporting member, but would like more info on how to sign up, CLICK HERE.

THE PRIZE

One winner will be selected to receive:
  • One K7 ProII light
  • One K7 bracket
  • One K7 controller
1.jpg

2.JPG

ONE Winner will be chosen via random draw from this thread on May 17, 2020! (Last day to enter is May 16th.)

We will choose the winner via a random number generator. The winner's username will be tagged in the winning announcement. We will not email, pm, or contact the winner other than tagging the winning name. Be sure to check back to claim your prize. If it is not claimed within 3 days we will do a re-pick and so on until the prize is claimed.

Please read our general R2R giveaway guidelines/disclaimers HERE!

Thanks again to @noopsyche for this awesome contest!

#r2rgiveaway
Only automate what you understand.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try not to overthink and be a perfectionist. Constantly trying to change something small can at times make things worse. Step in when necessary, and thinking in advance and can help. I overfed my plate coral on the second or third day I had it and it led to the coral weakening and slowly dying.

reefpaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entry 1 - When you cram as much equipment into a small space, e.g. sump or small under tank cabinet, it makes maintenance tasks more difficult and you'll be less likely to perform them. When doing cable management, use velcro where possible not zip ties.

Quillinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always do small adjustments to your reef and change is always a step backwards

Laniac103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official Entry: The best advice I've gotten was from a BRS video about how to fine tune my protein skimmer. It had been running for days without producing much of anything in the collection cup but now that I've got it dialed in its doing a much better job of keeping my tank clean.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have received and given many tips over the years. Here are a few.
1. "Go slowly, nothing good happens fast in a reef tank", is a very important one.
2. "Stability"
3. "Never add anything you can not test for."
4. "Buying quality products will save you money in the long run."
5. "Research before you buy anything for you tank. Including fish, inverts and corals as well as equipment."
6. "Do it right the first time if possible. Temporary/ make do may end up forever."
7. "Set up and use a QT.
8. "Do not trust what the LFS tells you."
9. "If you find a good trustworthy LFS, support them, they probably will not be around long."
10. "Use live rock for all the beneficial bacteria and other life."

Muwahha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When buying the 5 gallon buckets of instan ocean reef crystals, make sure you test the first few batches. Both new buckets of salt I’ve used I’ve had to stir up the raw salt really well. Even then make sure to check the freshly mixed saltwater parameters.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back