Windfall of rare dry rock

Swordsman82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbor is moving, and turns out he is also in the hobby and has been for decades. He gave me for free 100 lbs. of bleached Solomon Island live rock he isn't taking with him. Stuff is super nice.

I have a 50 gallon AIO and have only been in the hobby for a year. Is it worth it re-aqua scaping the tank to use some of this higher end rock? Will it become way more of a hassle that it is worth?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbor is moving, and turns out he is also in the hobby and has been for decades. He gave me for free 100 lbs. of bleached Solomon Island live rock he isn't taking with him. Stuff is super nice.

I have a 50 gallon AIO and have only been in the hobby for a year. Is it worth it re-aqua scaping the tank to use some of this higher end rock? Will it become way more of a hassle that it is worth?
Perfect reason to upgrade to a larger aquarium!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would not use it immediately. Cure it in a bin for a few months in salt water, you can use your water change water to feed it. If you can get a few pieces of rock from other systems to up the bacterial diversity, even better. If I had this happen I would order 10 lb from TB to seed the whole lot.

OP
OP
Swordsman82

Swordsman82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use it immediately. Cure it in a bin for a few months in salt water, you can use your water change water to feed it. If you can get a few pieces of rock from other systems to up the bacterial diversity, even better. If I had this happen I would order 10 lb from TB to seed the whole lot.
TB?

Back