Wiring an STC-1000 heat and cool thermostat... step by step

Kheebl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome write up I will be following it when I get my stc-1000 delivered. I'm glad you posted that link I showed you.

OP
OP
fragmatic

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I will be busy today but will check in from time to time, then I will be flying out until Sunday evening. So, I will may not be able to answer comments and/or questions until then.

When I return, I'll look into and most likely do another several steps to explain the entire programming procedure. Programming the STC-1000 is very easy, but the instructions are both translated and then written for machine maintenance staff or us design engineers and may as well be in Greek. You can work your way through them but they are one of those in which you will really be frustrated at the author until you reach that amazing moment of "Ahhhh, I get it"....

-randy-

Last edited:

Kheebl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine all working I combined your wiring with the outlet box idea I found on that other thread. Here is what I came up with.
ejavu5ar.jpg

OP
OP
fragmatic

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KOOL!............. Using an outlet box makes it clean and simple, too.

So you figured out the programming. It is simple once you wade through the syntax, isn't it.

Did you set it for ± .3°C?

Last edited:

Kheebl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did set it for .3 I am only using the hot side currently. It looks clean I just wish I spent more time to center the controller better

OP
OP
fragmatic

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL.. I can't possibly remember any project of which I didn't wish I had done something differently or better, appearance wise. My personal fault is I tend to care more about function than appearance.. or maybe that is not a fault but a trait.. which ever.. I deal with it.

If it does not function perfectly, it comes apart and gets fixed... if it doesn't look good enough to impress someone else... I just shrug... so what.. the DIY functionality impressed me. If the other person doesn't understand the reasons I DIY it nor the function, then impressing them has no value to me in the least. ... but I'm a geek... LOL..

When I was working (not my present retirement job as a wild life rescue person) if I did not get to see the final results of my efforts I had to paint, sculpt, or carve. THEN the results had to appear perfect, the coin was flipped because it was about achieving a closure of a completed piece and not the functioning projects I was engineering.

The point being..... DIY with me is as much of an addiction portion of this hobby as the reef is. Was just wondering if you could relate?

I visited a new LFS today... yep...came home with a new five head frog spawn... addicted. ;) ;)

Last edited:

Kheebl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL.. I can't possibly remember any project of which I didn't wish I had done something differently or better, appearance wise. My personal fault is I tend to care more about function than appearance.. or maybe that is not a fault but a trait.. which ever.. I deal with it.

If it does not function perfectly, it comes apart and gets fixed... if it doesn't look good enough to impress someone else... I just shrug... so what.. the DIY functionality impressed me. If the other person doesn't understand the reasons I DIY it nor the function, then impressing them has no value to me in the least. ... but I'm a geek... LOL..

When I was working (not my present retirement job as a wild life rescue person) if I did not get to see the final results of my efforts I had to paint, sculpt, or carve. THEN the results had to appear perfect, the coin was flipped because it was about achieving a closure of a completed piece and not the functioning projects I was engineering.

The point being..... DIY with me is as much of an addiction portion of this hobby as the reef is. Was just wondering if you could relate?

I visited a new LFS today... yep...came home with a new five head frog spawn... addicted. ;) ;)

Haha that's totally me also. I could care less how it looks also as long as it works as it should. What I did to make my life easier wiring it is I used those push connection wire fittings they have like 4 holes in them and it made it really easy to wire.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back