With My Brides Blessings, My 75 gallon Reef Build

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should start QTing corals and inverts as well to prevent this from happening again.
If you fallow then drop more corals or inverts you have the chance or reintroduction of a parasite or pathogen.
Good luck.

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should start QTing corals and inverts as well to prevent this from happening again.
If you fallow then drop more corals or inverts you have the chance or reintroduction of a parasite or pathogen.
Good luck.
True. Never thought of corals & inverts bringing them in. I know it came in on the Flame. I own that and never again. Now just taking my lumps. Fortunately the tank is healthy and corals are growing.

Just so I’m clear, corals and inverts are not affected by velvet, correct? And fallow will kill off the velvet parasite

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
Ok down to the two clowns. Gotta think their slime coat helped them out. They look pretty good compared to the others. All the corals look good after almost completely dismantling the rock scape to get the two into QT that ultimately passed today. Now it’s time to settle in and be patient, place some corals that are on the rack, maintain the bacteria on the rocks and sand and reformulate a slow stocking plan and super stringent QT plan, Upgrade some quarantine items and stock a few additional meds. All a true learning experience and good diagnosis and reaction training. Hate that I lost some of my buddies though.

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: after a total fish population crash I was a lot bummed out and can see why people would update just give up after a crash. Really, it was a fleeting thought but a thought nevertheless.
So with no fish to watch I’ve b en messing around with the idea of two part dosing because the kalk is not keeping up. So I’m hays where all the s is headed. Got my risers set for p and zeroing in on the suitable dosing schedule and that’s about it. Pics below of some of my favorites.
#reef2reef,#worldwidecorals,#mywwccontest

3D3C3CEA-B210-4174-A1C2-8CAD1F7A08DB.jpeg

3FFE47A2-3E78-4569-8F41-4E2063406ACF.jpeg

7061D32C-586B-44B1-86C0-AC5BFE4E561E.jpeg

F0D7B35D-4D68-45C7-B815-DB8903277442.jpeg

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The third pic is a firefly pavona from WWC. Got it in a frag pack and it’s one of my favs. The fourth one is a JF limelight hydno and it’s another fav. Of course you can’t beat Duncan’s and acans either. Most of my stuff came from @WWC and are always beauties and healthy.

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry you lost all your fish. I lost all my fish to Ich in my previous tank. Then went on like you are and had all healthy fish population, including flame angel and tangs

Bob2bob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear about the fish :( but love the setup! Just getting on with a 75 myself. I'm using a similar overflow. Was wondering how you feel about the one return hole? Would you add a second if you did it again?

I've got the one 3/4" return hole setup now but unsure if I should drill a second before adding water.

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear about the fish :( but love the setup! Just getting on with a 75 myself. I'm using a similar overflow. Was wondering how you feel about the one return hole? Would you add a second if you did it again?

I've got the one 3/4" return hole setup now but unsure if I should drill a second before adding water.
I think if I did it over again I would have two with less flow. I have my varios4 running at 65% and makes it difficult to use the MP10s in a random pattern. Don’t get me wrong one gives awesome flow but I think two would’ve been better with less “directional” flow.
Thanks for the condolences on the fish. Hard not having any swimmers

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update. Fallow period over 8 weeks but still no fish in DT...but they are in the QT/mini display!!! I cycled a tank and before you say it’s got sand and rocks ... yes I made a mini display out of QT and it will be like this until all the fish have cycled through or God forbid we have a disease and have to copperize it. DT is doing great. Have a lot of growth and encrusting going on.
Fingers crossed for two more weeks

image.jpg

image.jpg

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear about all the losses, major bummer. but all too common, unfortunately. makes me think keeping fish must be really freakin awesome since everyone puts up with everything that comes with em... that's dedication. I've always stuck to an Invert Only policy (except for those poor fw fish I owned/killed when I was a child, sorry little buddies). good luck with your swimmers in holding! hope to see them in the DT soon.

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now we have new swimmers, after 12 weeks of fallow along with 4 weeks of quarantine WE HAVE SWIMMERS AGAIN!!!
looking for a new round of QT tank mates for a yellow watchman goby because the mystery wrasse didn’t make the trip from Calif. I really like that little feller but it happens. Thinking of getting another and maybe another Sally Lightfoot crab. They are pretty cool. Would love a hawkfish but have a shrimp, thinking of a chalk basket but comes with risks as does a flame angel. Any suggestions for something different but not too crazy expensive. Ultimately will have a couple of the smaller tangs species as my last fishes.

43B19561-817F-491A-A39A-A8C8563495CB.jpeg

BF7B95F0-AB4A-4588-A333-EEFE373565C5.jpeg

E61CB160-D9A2-4CCC-9487-E4F3ABEC3218.jpeg

2F05EB8F-6EDB-46CE-A571-135DC36D6051.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back